glossa ordinaria help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

glossa ordinaria help

Post by COPLAND 3 »

I am working on a project where I am putting together a catena on Acts, and I would love to have some help with some extracts from the Glossa Ordinaria. This project will serve as a great tool for anyone studying Acts. The project is on a website I created that I hope one day will be catena for the whole Bible. The extracts that I am most interested in is from Oecumenius in the Glossa. If anybody has the time or desire I would truly be greatful beyond words. As for the translation of extracts, it can be done quickly and loose as long as it is readable and relays the message. I can post the extracts on this forum or people can browse the Glossa Ordinaria itself and choose what they want to translate. Here is the link to the Gloss on Acts http://www.archive.org/stream/bibliorum ... 7/mode/2up

If anyone wants more info and wants to contact me for more details and a link to the site where I am working on, then let me know. Thank you!

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Re: glossa ordinaria help

Post by COPLAND 3 »

Here is one extract from Oecumenius for chapter 5:17-24 in Acts

Angeli namq; e carcere edudio apoftolis quidem ad confolationem, ludaeis vero ad vtilitate exhibita eit. Ignorarunt autem ludaei diuinam effe potetiam vt primum in agendorum perplexitate conftituti, fi vellent comprehenderentur & ipfi ac docerentur. illi vero adco excaecati funt, vt neque auderent vi a tempIo abfttahere alofto
los, quos tamen maxime abominabantur.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Angeli namque è carcere eductio apostolis quidem ad consolationem, ludaeis vero ad vtilitatem exhibita est. Ignorarunt autem Iudaei diuinam esse potentiam vt primum in agendorum perplexitate constituti, si vellent comprehenderentur & ipsi ac docerentur. Illi vero adeò excaecati sunt, vt neque auderent vi a templo abstrahere apostolos, quos tamen maxime abominabantur. (columna mille triginta quattuor 1034)
I hope you don't mind but I tidied the passage a little, copland 3.
Tuâ veniâ, copland tres, locum paululùm mundavi.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

What about this? // Quid de hôc?
Angeli namque è carcere eductio apostolis quidem ad consolationem, ludaeis vero ad vtilitatem exhibita est. Ignorarunt autem Iudaei diuinam esse potentiam vt primum in agendorum perplexitate constituti, si vellent comprehenderentur & ipsi ac docerentur. Illi vero adeò excaecati sunt, vt neque auderent vi a templo abstrahere apostolos, quos tamen maxime abominabantur. (columna mille triginta quattuor 1034)

The angel's freeing them from prison for the apostles on the one hand appeared as an encouragement, for the Jews really as [a tactical] expediency. The Jews, however, were unaware that the power was a divine one, so at first they met in the confusion of what they should do, whether they wished them to be arrested and [whether] they themselves might besides gain an understanding. To such a extent truly were they confused [/blinded], that neither were they prepared forcibly to remove from the temple the apostles, whom they nevertheless detested.
You should yourself try first to translate before posting others, Copland 3. Also proofread the latin.
Antequàm alias epistolas mittis, Copland tres, tu ipse eas in latinam linguam vertere tentes. Porrò scriptum latinum perlegas causâ corrigendi.

Lege hoc: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1225
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by COPLAND 3 »

Thanks for translating that for me. I will give it a shot when I post another, but I am not very good. As for the Latin that I posted it is a medieval work, so the Latin is crude, using f or s a v for u and so on. I will edit it when I post anymore.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

COPLAND 3 wrote:Thanks for translating that for me. I will give it a shot when I post another, but I am not very good. As for the Latin that I posted it is a medieval work, so the Latin is crude, using f or s a v for u and so on. I will edit it when I post anymore.
Is it just that the Latin is crude, or is it more a matter of accurately transcribing antiquated writing? For example, while the word might seem to say "funt," in the past it has been customary to write an elongated "s" that looks similar to "f". Similarly, ligatures and other writing conventions were used that must be known to know what a word should actually say. For example, "potetiam" should clearly be "potentiam"; although I have not seen your source, I know that letters like "m" and "n" were frequently omitted, and there will be a tilde or some mark over the remaining letters to indicate that the letters are to be understood.

Num prave scriptum est? Immo scriptura antiqua, mea sententia, prave lecta est. Exempli gratia, verbum "funt" esse videtur, sed prius mos scribendi erat ut S longa, litterae F hodiernae simillima, scribenda esset. Sic alii modi scribendi sunt quibus scriba facilius scribat; si hi lectori non sunt noti, perperam litteras transcribet. Exemplia gratia, "potetiam" clare "potentiam" legi debet; cum fontem quem adhibes ignoscam, scio litteras "m" et "n" saepe omissae in scribendo esse; earum in locis linea scripta est parva super litteras quae etiam manent, quae nota lectori monstrant intellegandas esse has litteras.

I suppose an ignorant scribe could make all sorts of blunders, but it is very unlikely that a literate writer would make such mistakes. So that your project may have a firm foundation, I recommend spending some time acquainting yourself more fully with the textual history of your sources.

Forsan scriba ignarus haec menda et alia fecisse poterat, sed dubito scriptor esset ullus Latinae tam insciens ut ista quae nobis adtulisti faceret. Ut opus tuum crescat, tibi suadeo fontium historiam textualem magis discas.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by COPLAND 3 »

Crude or my mistakes, it could be a little of both. I did copy and paste from the text. But it was from a adobe format, sometimes it does not copy too good. Reguardless I will be more careful next time. Thanks for the insights!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

The Latin is fine in the work, Copland 3; it's not classical but not crude. And that's not an f in the original; it's a long s with half a horizontal bar. All the errors come from optical character recognition of the original document and omission of abbreviations.

Bonum, Copland tres, non inconditum (etsi non classicum) in paginâ libri est latinum. Nec ibi f litteram in paginâ sed s longam demidio ductu in medio posito vides. Omnia errata ex defectibus processûs optici ad litteras cogitandas oriuntur et ex abbreviationibus omissis.

Hi thesaurus. I'm just repeating your points, I think. (Didn't see your letter earlier. Be assured if you're crazy, you're not the only one.)
Salve, thesaure. Quod dicis, tua argumenta, verò repeto. (Epistulam tuam priùs non vidi. Certò scito: si deceps non solus es.)

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by COPLAND 3 »

I have finished a catena on Jonah, but I have found some great stuff from the Glossa Ordinaria, extracts from Theophylact. I would love to have some of his extracts translated before I finish, and was wondering if anyone on here would be willing to do some and even name a price. Jonah is a very small book so it should not take long. Here is the link to the gloss, and it should be bookmarked http://www.archive.org/stream/bibliorum ... 5/mode/2up

Here is a link to my catena on Jonah to show how serious I am with the project http://catenas.wetpaint.com/

My contact info is on the link above, thanks!

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Post by Kynetus Valesius »

What a "catena" is I don't know. But from your link it seems that you are interested in assembling - verse by verse - commentaries on these scriptures. Are you actively studying biblical greek, Hebrew and Latin? That would be the best preparation for some aspiring to do biblical exegisis. For greek and hebrew ....check on the Rev. Dobson's methods.

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by COPLAND 3 »

A Bible catena is a commentary made up of quotes from more than one expositor, sometimes many different expositors. The catena I am putting together is being made up of ancient Christian writers, nothing of my own interpretations. I just finished the book of Jonah http://catenas.wetpaint.com/page/Jonah

I have taken Latin and Greek, but I am not cut out to translate what I am seeking to have translated. The glossa ordinaria is sort of an ancient catena.