Textkit Logo

Hi, I'm Lonsdale

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Hi, I'm Lonsdale

Postby lonsdale » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:38 pm

I'm really happy to find this site.

I'm 59, a high school teacher/librarian, a musician and a writer.

I got the impulse to learn Latin and I've been at it a few months now. I started with Cambridge, flirted with Wheelock and Living Latin, but settled on Oxford, and I really like it.

I love seeing the parallels between Latin and English, and I feel that the mental exercise is my trump card agaiinst senility when I get old enough to be concerned about such things - not as far away as it used to be. I run through conjugations and declension when I'm waiting for the bus and at other odd moments.

One thing that I'm really hoping to find on this site is lots and lots of really elementary reader because I think that improves a person's language tremendously.
lonsdale
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Hi, I'm Lonsdale

Postby thesaurus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:40 am

Nice to see you here. Drilling declensions and conjugations at odd moments is definitely a route to success in Latin. Before you know it, you won't need to do it anymore.
Te intrante gaudeo. Declenationes conjugationesque in mente semper volvere, mea sententia, adjumentum linguae latinae discendae est optimum. Statim nullum erit eius opus.

I don't know all the elementary readers out there, but you might look at "38 Latin Stories," which are set to follow the chapters of Wheelock's (although definitely suitable to follow along with any course). The Tar Heel Reader website has many simple picture "books" that you can read, which begin with single words and vocabulary for the absolute beginner.
Nescio omnes libros qui extent tironibus idoneos, sed tibi suadeo "38 Latin Stories" inspicias, omnes qui capitula cursûs Wheelock's seriatim sequuntur. Tar Heel Reader multos "libros" simplices lectu habet, qui verbis ipsis incipiunt ut tiro gradatim legere discat.

If you're looking for something more long-term and serious, check out Lingua Latina"Per Se Illustrata (volume 1) by Hans Orberg. There is a lot of information about this series on these forums, but essentially it's an inductive course in Latin par excellence--it's literally all continuous Latin narrative, with no English anywhere.
Si iter paulùm audaciorem tibi vis, librum sumas commendo ab Hans Orberg scriptum, nomine "Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata," volumen primum. His in foris multa sunt colloquia de hoc cursu, sed scito cursum inductivum esse optimum qui semper Latine fabulas dat ullo sine linguae Anglicae (vel aliarum) auxilio.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Open Board