Textkit Logo

supine as ablative of separation????

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

supine as ablative of separation????

Postby hlawson38 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:39 pm

Caesar, Gallic War, Book VII
Ch. 57, p. 462, Loeb Classical Lib edition

". . . hic consedit nostrosque transitu prohibere instuit."

My translation:

Here he stopped and ordered our-troops to be blocked from crossing.

Is "transitu" an instance of a supine, in the ablative case, as ablative of separation??

hlawson
hlawson38
Textkit Neophyte

Re: supine as ablative of separation????

Postby adrianus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:17 pm

hlawson38 wrote:Is "transitu" an instance of a supine, in the ablative case, as ablative of separation??

I'd say not, hlawson. It may seem strange but it's just the ablative of the noun "transitus -ûs". You seldom find supine + verb. (A&G, §510, n.4)

Id non puto, hlawson. Forsit id alienum tibi videtur at, nisi fallor, est merum nomen ablativo casu. Rarò cum verbo invenitur supinum.

[Must have skipped over your post before. We must all be distracted.
Anteà epistulam tuam omittebam, ut vereor. Distracti nos omnes.]
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: supine as ablative of separation????

Postby hlawson38 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:37 pm

hlawson asked:

Is "transitu" an instance of a supine, in the ablative case, as ablative of separation??

adrianus replied:

I'd say not, hlawson. It may seem strange but it's just the ablative of the noun "transitus -ûs". You seldom find supine + verb. (A&G, §510, n.4)

hlawson again:

Not strange at all, adrianus; I overlooked the noun transitus, -us in the dictionary, which led to my question. But it was a useful mistake, for it was the first time I'd really studied the supine. Next time, I'll look harder in the dictionary.
hlawson38
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin