Athenaze reading on YouTube

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
gigas phoberos
Textkit Neophyte

Athenaze reading on YouTube

Post by gigas phoberos »

I found this on youtube, but the pronunciation is very different than the book has it,
LYKON is pronounced LIKON.
I guess that's the modern Greek pronunciation, sounds better than the "Latin-like" pronunciation I'm learning.

I would be interested in hearing from native Greek speakers about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igLMzKYc ... re=related

p.s. the song at the intro is very beautiful, does anyone know the name and have the lyrics?

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Re: Athenaze reading on YouTube

Post by Damoetas »

That sounds to me like a mixture of Ancient pronunciation and Modern: specifically, a Modern Greek speaker adopting certain features of Ancient pronunciation, but keeping most of it Modern. I agree, it does sound better than people reading Greek with a bad American accent! (or German, or French, or British, or whatever :) ) Although the drawback is that you lose contrasts between a lot of the vowels....

The music at the beginning is from the Seikilos epitaph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seikilos_epitaph There are links to recordings at the bottom of the page (I like the one at biblicalulpan.org, which uses restored 1st century CE pronunciation).
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Yep, it's modern Greek pronunciation for the most part (about 90% I'd say). Can't judge it because I'm not objective. Mind you, as an aside, modern Greeks using the reconstructed pronunciation of any age (as opposed to one-reconstructed-pronunciation-fits-all-ages which seems to be the norm) sound as much different from, say, an English as a German or a Spaniard does.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Thanks for finding and sharing this. Videos like this are great because if you are too tired to read or even listen to Greek, you can sit back and sort of veg out but still learn some Greek.

The pronunciation is like Modern Greek with two exceptions. Beta is still "B" not "V." And in some closed syllables, omicron is pretty short, almost more like an alpha than an omega.

I rarely hear a "pure" accent of any kind. Everyone, even Modern Greeks, sort of do thier own thing. I think this guy is a Spaniard, not a Native Greek. As far as προφοραι, it's all καλον.

Here's hoping more and more of this stuff appears.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.