1 John 2:19

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
BibleShockers
Textkit Neophyte

1 John 2:19

Post by BibleShockers »

Would someone be able to comment on the subtleties of grammar in 1 John 2:19, particularly the role of the pluperfect?

Thanks,
Author of "Bible Shockers!" - a collection of disturbing observations of and about the Bible.
http://bibleshockers.blogspot.com

AnAmerican
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AnAmerican »

1Jn 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

1Jn 2:29 εαν ειδητε οτι δικαιος εστιν γινωσκετε οτι πας ο ποιων την δικαιοσυνην εξ αυτου γεγεννηται

AnAmerican
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AnAmerican »

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

19 εξ ημων εξηλθον αλλ ουκ ησαν εξ ημων ει γα? ησαν εξ ημων μεμενηκεισαν αν μεθ ημων αλλ ινα φανε?ωθωσιν οτι ουκ εισιν παντες εξ ημων

I thought i was 2:29

BibleShockers
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks. Any thoughts on the significance of the pluperfect?

Post by BibleShockers »

Hi, friend. Thanks for the reply.

I am peer reviewing my reading/interpretation of this verse. To my mind it relates to a situation such as the one in Acts 15:

1 ¶ And certain having come down from Judea, were teaching the brethren—‘If ye be not circumcised after the custom of Moses, ye are not able to be saved;’
2 there having been, therefore, not a little dissension and disputation to Paul and Barnabas with them, they arranged for Paul and Barnabas, and certain others of them, to go up unto the apostles and elders to Jerusalem about this question,

These would have come "from James" but, not tracking with James, they were not "of James." We might have the same thing here:

Ga 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

So, in my thinking, the pluperfect pegs the time as being relevant to when these self-appointed missionaries went out and spoke as if they were representing the community. So I get a reading like this:

19 They went originated from us [our community], but they were not [part] of us; for if they had been [part] of us, they would no doubt have been continuing [in line] with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all [representative] of us.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill
Author of "Bible Shockers!" - a collection of disturbing observations of and about the Bible.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Thanks. Any thoughts on the significance of the pluperfe

Post by modus.irrealis »

BibleShockers
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Post by BibleShockers »

joja
Textkit Neophyte

Re: 1 John 2:19

Post by joja »

Hello, Re: the following Scripture:

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us;
for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have
continued with us: but they went out, that they might be
made manifest that they were not all of us.

I believe the word "us" is referring to those who
believed like Paul, those of like-minded faith,
and not referring to a community.
It's a "spiritual Body" of believers that have come together,
and " entered " into that group of believers by faith,
becoming one of them.
And who can also depart from that "Body" thereby
maanifesting their unbelief.