Textkit Logo

supine as ablative of separation????

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Moderator: thesaurus

supine as ablative of separation????

Postby hlawson38 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:39 pm

Caesar, Gallic War, Book VII
Ch. 57, p. 462, Loeb Classical Lib edition

". . . hic consedit nostrosque transitu prohibere instuit."

My translation:

Here he stopped and ordered our-troops to be blocked from crossing.

Is "transitu" an instance of a supine, in the ablative case, as ablative of separation??

hlawson
hlawson38
Textkit Fan

Re: supine as ablative of separation????

Postby adrianus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:17 pm

hlawson38 wrote:Is "transitu" an instance of a supine, in the ablative case, as ablative of separation??

I'd say not, hlawson. It may seem strange but it's just the ablative of the noun "transitus -ûs". You seldom find supine + verb. (A&G, §510, n.4)

Id non puto, hlawson. Forsit id alienum tibi videtur at, nisi fallor, est merum nomen ablativo casu. Rarò cum verbo invenitur supinum.

[Must have skipped over your post before. We must all be distracted.
Anteà epistulam tuam omittebam, ut vereor. Distracti nos omnes.]
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: supine as ablative of separation????

Postby hlawson38 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:37 pm

hlawson asked:

Is "transitu" an instance of a supine, in the ablative case, as ablative of separation??

adrianus replied:

I'd say not, hlawson. It may seem strange but it's just the ablative of the noun "transitus -ûs". You seldom find supine + verb. (A&G, §510, n.4)

hlawson again:

Not strange at all, adrianus; I overlooked the noun transitus, -us in the dictionary, which led to my question. But it was a useful mistake, for it was the first time I'd really studied the supine. Next time, I'll look harder in the dictionary.
hlawson38
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin