Plato Symp. 173c

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Plato Symp. 173c

Post by vir litterarum »

ὅταν δὲ ἄλλους τινάς, ἄλλως τε καὶ (5)
τοὺς ὑμετέρους τοὺς[λόγους] τῶν πλουσίων καὶ χρηματιστικῶν, αὐτός
τε ἄχθομαι ὑμᾶς τε τοὺς ἑταίρους ἐλεῶ, ὅτι οἴεσθε τὶ ποιεῖν
(d.) οὐδὲν ποιοῦντες.

It seems to me that there should be a καί separating ὑμᾶς and τοὺς ἑταίρους: " whenever I hear other sorts of words, especially your talk of money and moneymaking, I myself am grieved and I take pity on you [and] your companions.... How can this sentence work without a conjunction between ὑμᾶς and τοὺς ἑταίρους? Could τοὺς ἑταίρους be in apposition to ὑμᾶς and refer to the λόγους, i.e. "...and I take pity on you, their companions..."?

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Plato Symp. 173c

Post by modus.irrealis »

vir litterarum wrote:It seems to me that there should be a καί separating ὑμᾶς and τοὺς ἑταίρους: " whenever I hear other sorts of words, especially your talk of money and moneymaking, I myself am grieved and I take pity on you [and] your companions.... How can this sentence work without a conjunction between ὑμᾶς and τοὺς ἑταίρους? Could τοὺς ἑταίρους be in apposition to ὑμᾶς and refer to the λόγους, i.e. "...and I take pity on you, their companions..."?
Yeah, I would take it to be in apposition, but what do you mean by referring to the λόγους? I read it as something like "you my companions", meaning "you who are my companions".

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

ah. that makes more sense.

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

Note also that the conjunction is "τε... τε", not "τε...καί". That is why you do not see any καί... :wink:
Dives qui sapiens est...