Textkit Logo

Plato Symp. 173c

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Plato Symp. 173c

Postby vir litterarum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:43 am

ὅταν δὲ ἄλλους τινάς, ἄλλως τε καὶ (5)
τοὺς ὑμετέρους τοὺς[λόγους] τῶν πλουσίων καὶ χρηματιστικῶν, αὐτός
τε ἄχθομαι ὑμᾶς τε τοὺς ἑταίρους ἐλεῶ, ὅτι οἴεσθε τὶ ποιεῖν
(d.) οὐδὲν ποιοῦντες.

It seems to me that there should be a καί separating ὑμᾶς and τοὺς ἑταίρους: " whenever I hear other sorts of words, especially your talk of money and moneymaking, I myself am grieved and I take pity on you [and] your companions.... How can this sentence work without a conjunction between ὑμᾶς and τοὺς ἑταίρους? Could τοὺς ἑταίρους be in apposition to ὑμᾶς and refer to the λόγους, i.e. "...and I take pity on you, their companions..."?
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Re: Plato Symp. 173c

Postby modus.irrealis » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 pm

vir litterarum wrote:It seems to me that there should be a καί separating ὑμᾶς and τοὺς ἑταίρους: " whenever I hear other sorts of words, especially your talk of money and moneymaking, I myself am grieved and I take pity on you [and] your companions.... How can this sentence work without a conjunction between ὑμᾶς and τοὺς ἑταίρους? Could τοὺς ἑταίρους be in apposition to ὑμᾶς and refer to the λόγους, i.e. "...and I take pity on you, their companions..."?

Yeah, I would take it to be in apposition, but what do you mean by referring to the λόγους? I read it as something like "you my companions", meaning "you who are my companions".
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby vir litterarum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:22 pm

ah. that makes more sense.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby Swth\r » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Note also that the conjunction is "τε... τε", not "τε...καί". That is why you do not see any καί... :wink:
Dives qui sapiens est...
Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Greek