Salvete. Ecce, novus sum.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Salvete. Ecce, novus sum.

Post by Smythe »

Howdy.

Don't be mislead by the subject header. I really don't know much Latin (although I am, indeed, new). I am learning, however. I used Wheelock's book in high school. That didn't take. Now, some years later, I am using Lingua Latina and the Dowling Method to try to really nail it down. I'm pretty excited about it, actually. Just about to be finished with memorizing all the forms and about to start Capitulum Primum.

Not sure what info you need in this initial post, but I should tell you that I am not a human spammer. Apparently, on these boards, that sort is held in the sort of contempt normally reserved for lawyers and employees of the D.M.V.

My end goal would be to be able to converse in Latin. That is problematic for a number of reasons, the least of which is finding other folks fluent in speaking Latin. I'll settle for being able to read Latin as easily as I read English.

Stuff about me: Adult, male, Texan, don't speak any other languages, not in school, fancy myself as a bit of a writer. Everything else is probably not relevant.

Why Latin? That is still nebulous to me. I try not to be too introspective when I'm not drinking. Perhaps, one day, I'll wake up and the answer will be scribbled down on a cocktail napkin beside my pillow.

-smythe

Sino-Classicist
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Salvete. Ecce, novus sum.

Post by Sino-Classicist »

Fellow Austinite, eh?

You'll find that UT's Perry-Castaneda Library has a huge wealth of stuff related to Classics. They also have a separate Classics Library, but I haven't been there yet to see it. One book in particular you might be interested in at this stage is A Student's Guide for Hans H. Oerberg's Lingua Latina by W.M. Read. I have it checked out right now, but I'll be returning it within a week.

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Smythe »

Huh ... Is that a different book than anything published by Focus Publishing? I think I have all of their ancillary stuff. Can't find it on Amazon.

-Smythe

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Smythe »

Indeed. Been here for two decades now. Glad to meet ya.

I can't seem to find an online reference for: A Student's Guide for Hans H. Orberg's Lingua Latina by W.M. Read.

I've purchased most of the ancillary stuff from Focus Publishing and did not see it there, either.

What info does it present that's different than the College Companion or the Student's Manual?

-smythe

Sino-Classicist
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sino-Classicist »

I've been here all of 8 months. :mrgreen:

I'm not familiar with their other books, but I can tell you that this book has explanations of all the vocab, and some help with the usage for each lesson. I didn't make enough use of it while I had it to tell you much more (I returned it yesterday). In all honesty, if you have the more current supplementary materials it would probably be superfluous for you, but since I don't it may come in handy for me in the future. I believe it is designed for use with an earlier edition of the book as well, although it seemed to be pretty well in line with the new version as well.

Here is the reference for it at UT. It's an old book, and it fills quite a small niche, so I'm not surprised you had a hard time finding it.

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Smythe »

Ahh. I see. Yes, that's an older supplement to an earlier version of Lingua Latina. More precisely, to "Lingua latina secundum naturae rationem explicata" (at least according to the PCL reference that you cited). I think that you're right, the older version of the book and the newer version are pretty close to the same thing.

As to being in Austin only eight months, welcome! I've compiled a list of pretty cool things to do here. Let me know if you need some suggestions.