New User Introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
jkmoore
Textkit Neophyte

New User Introduction

Post by jkmoore »

It's been 35 years since I took a couple of years of Latin prior to medical school. I'm brushing up (starting over, really) in order to be able to translate medieval documents as part of ongoing genealogical research. About all I remember at this point is how to say "this little piggy went to market, etc." Thanks for a great site! I'm looking forward to figuring out whose land Henry III stole from whom.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: New User Introduction

Post by thesaurus »

Welcome aboard! If you have any questions about the medieval Latin, I and others would always be interested in taking a look at it in the Latin forum.

Salve conscendens! Si ulla dubia de latinitate mediaevalis temporis te vexant, certe ego aliique in foro Latino manus dare semper optamus.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Einhard
Textkit Member

Re: New User Introduction

Post by Einhard »

Salve jk, and welcome to texkit. I started with Latin in order to help with a Medieval Studies course I'm planning on doing (any time now as I've been saying for the past 2 years!), and over a year later I'm still wading through Classical Latin! I want to get as comprehensive a grounding in that before I move on, much the same way, although somewhat in reverse, that one would need to learn modern Englisn in order to tackle the Middle English. Anyway goodluck. By the way, I'd recommend you get your hands on a good Med Latin reader. I have "Reading Medieval Latin" by Keith Sidwell, and though I haven't dipped too much into it (see above!), it seems quite good from what I have seen.