Help on a project of mine

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MDS
Textkit Fan

Help on a project of mine

Post by MDS »

Yesterday as a joke my Latin teacher remarked how nice it would be if the paper put out several articles in Latin every year. Now she wasn't being serious at all (we had been discussing Harrius Potter and the like just prior to this) but I thought what if this could actually occur.

However, I am on Chapter 7 of Wheelock and thus totally inable to translate an article into Latin.

If anyone would like some practice (a personal challenge perhaps?) at deciphering the article I have enclosed it below.

Before I get reply posts on this, I know this is not a translation service nor would I otherwise use it as such. But, I thought this might be an interesting attempt for those such as bingley or benissimus or skylax who seem to answer the other posts with ease.

And should noone care to translate this, I will totally understand.

Leafs opening roster set
Stajan, Perrot and Kondratiev survive final cut

Nobody told Matt Stajan, Nathan Perrott or Maxim Kondratiev that they had cracked the Maple Leafs' opening-night roster. In fact, nobody told them anything, but in this case silence was most definitely golden.
It certainly beat the alternative. Carlo Colaiacovo, Pierre Hedin and Jamie Hodson all had early-morning meetings with Leafs coach Pat Quinn yesterday and all three found themselves a few hours later on a one-way flight to St. John's, Nfld.
Along with Jamie Pushor, who was released after his tryout, they were the last players cut by the Leafs in preparation for the season opener Saturday night against the Montreal Canadiens.
The injection of youth into the Leafs' lineup came from a variety of unlikely sources. Stajan was a second-rounder in 2002 who was very nearly cut from last year's Canadian world junior team.
Kondratiev was the fifth defenceman picked by the Leafs in the 2001 draft, 151 picks after Colaiacovo.
Perrott is a 26-year-old journeyman whose pro career has encompassed four leagues and eight teams.
Perrott will likely be the designated sitter when the Leafs open the season, but the fact that he is still with the Leafs is a major surprise.
He also gives the Leafs a far more physical and defensive bent than the other two. Quinn compared Kondratiev to former Leaf Dmitry Yushkevich in terms of getting involved.
But the fact remains that after yesterday's cuts, the Leafs have just six healthy defencemen on their 22-man roster and have room for another player without going over the limit.
Quinn said it's too early to tell whether all or any one of Stajan, Kondratiev or Perrott will be with the team long-term.
"Sometimes if you push a young fellow into a spot, it is the wrong thing for him. It never hurts to go back down and start their careers and their development in that way," Quinn said. "We're handling all our young people with all the due care that we can."

Thanks!
Michelle

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Lost Postings

We changed servers last night - during the change some posts were left behind on the old server. This would have happend if you were already on the server when we redirected the domain name to point to the new server.

To retrieve your losts posts form this thread (and any others) go here:
http://207.142.133.135/greek-latin-foru ... .php?t=793

So long as you see the IP address 207.142.133.135 - you're on the old server. Don't post anything on the old server - just go there to retrieve a posting you may have made.

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Lost posts:

bingley
Textkit Fan

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:35 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea what the English is about beyond the fact that it seems to be about choosing a team for some sport. Quidditch? Cricket? American football?

:arrow: :arrow:
MDS
Textkit Member

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:45 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL Bingley!

The article is about NHL (Canadian and American) hockey. Being Canadian I tried to pick an article my teacher might relate too.

:arrow: :arrow:
benissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:49 am Post subject:

What to make of the names...

How about...

Matt - Matthaios, -oi (Greek from Hebrew) or Matthaius, -i (to Latinize it)
Nathan - Nathan, -is (is there a Latin equivalent to the Hebrew name?)
Maxim - Maximus, -i (nice name )

mariek
Global Moderator

One more lost post

Post by mariek »

Thank you Bingley for moving the rest of the messages from this thread over to the new server. I just noticed you missed one message from Beniss which was Michelle's first reply to her post. Here it is:

benissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:12 am Post subject: Re: Help on a project of mine

That sounds like an interesting venture... The real hard part is vocabulary, not grammar... my constant inhibitor