Lingua Latina Author Dies

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
edonnelly
Administrator

Lingua Latina Author Dies

Post by edonnelly »

I hadn't seen it posted here, so I thought I'd share the news that the well-regarded author of the Lingua Latina series of books, Hans Ørberg, died on February 17th. I know that many here, including myself, greatly enjoyed and benefited from his books and are saddened at this loss to our community. Here's the press release from his publisher:
Focus News Update
2/19/2010

For Immediate Release
http://www.focusbookstore.com
Focus Publishing/R. Pullins Co.
Hans Henning Ørberg
in memorium
Grenaa, Denmark - 2.19.2010 -

Dear all friends and customers of Focus Publishing,

We are very sad to announce the death of our beloved author of the infamous, Lingua Latina series, Hans Henning Orberg. He passed away peacefully, surrounded by his children on the 17th of February, 2010.

Although very weak and disabled in his last month, he was very happy that he managed to finish his latest book, Ars Amatoria and see it published. He also leaves this world with peace in his mind, confident that his children will carry on his publishing firm, Domus Latina, based in Denmark.

The funeral will take place Wednesday the 24th of February at 2 pm in the church of Grenaa: Grenaa Kirke, Torvet 12, 8500 Grenaa, Denmark.

We would be grateful if you would pass on the sad news to friends and colleagues.

Hans From 1953 to 1961 he worked in the Naturmetodens Sproginstitut, an institute where the languages are taught according to the "natural method" of learning.

While there he created a new course in Latin: Lingua Latina secundum naturae rationem explicata published in 1955.

In 1990 he modernized the system and changed the title to Lingua Latina per se illustrata, which was published with small adjustments. In his retirement, he directed the Domus Latina publishing house and gave lectures in Europe and the United States on the natural method.

Focus Publishing is proud to be the official U.S. distributor of his books.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Re: Lingua Latina Author Dies

Post by paulusnb »

Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume...........................
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Thank you for sharing this with us edonnelly.

The press release on Mr. Ørberg's death was very moving. I'm certain too that his work and contributions to the teaching of Latin will live on for generations to come in the Latin studies among new learners.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Cattus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cattus »

Requiesce in pace, magister.
Last edited by Cattus on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

nov.ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov.ialiste »

R.I.P.

Hans himself hand-addressed all my book orders last year.

His work lives on now in the hands of many enthusiastic students.

Bretonus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bretonus »

I don't know how I missed this. I don't know where I'd be without his writings. Definitely not able to read Livy or Cicero. The man was brilliant and he made Latin a much more enjoyable experience for me than it is for those who are in my Latin classes.

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

Vale magister!