manthanein ??

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
sinhakumara
Textkit Neophyte

manthanein ??

Post by sinhakumara »

Manthanein - is that a Greek word meaning learning ? What are its different verb forms ? I found the word missing in current Greek dictionaries. Perhaps its become archaic. sinhakumara. :lol:

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Re: manthanein ??

Post by Damoetas »

It means "to learn." In Modern Greek it's μαθαίνω (pres.), έμαθα (aor.), μαθεύτηκα (aor. pass.), μαθημένος (past participle).

In Ancient Greek the forms were μανθάνω (pres.), μαθήσομαι (fut.), ἔμαθον (aor.), μεμάθηκα (perf.), no perfect passive or aorist passive.
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

sinhakumara
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sinhakumara »

many many thanks, Damoetas !! You've been a great help. Though I"ve begun to wonder what your name could possibly mean !! sinhakumara. :)

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

Oh! I got that name from a character in Vergil's Eclogues (and Vergil himself took it from Theocritus' Idylls). I especially like the fact that Eclogue 3 begins with this unusual line:

Dic mihi, Damoeta, cuium pecus? an Meliboei?
'Tell me, Damoetas, whose flock is this? Meliboeus'?'

The word for 'whose', cuium, is very odd for Latin (the standard form would be cuius). So someone in late antiquity wrote a parody of that line, which goes,

'Tell me, Damoetas, "cuium pecus" - is that Latin?'