Introduction to Latin rhetoric?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
philplus
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction to Latin rhetoric?

Post by philplus »

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there are any books which teach basics of the Latin rhetoric(the figures of speech in Latin, their uses in the literature, the characteristics of different styles and genres etc.). I have heard about the Traité de stylistique latine by Jules Marouzeau but can't find it here. Is there anything helpful that can be found on the web(public domain books scanned by Google, for example)?

Thank you in advance.

phil

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Introduction to Latin rhetoric?

Post by adrianus »

Salve philplus

I for my part can offer no helpful online link to what you're looking for but, loving primary sources over secondary, I say make sure you read Quintilian's Institutes of Oratory, if you haven't already.

Ego equidem nexum utilem ad quod quaeris dare non possum at, qui fontes pristinos ante secondarios diligam, Institutionem Oratoriam Quintiliani nisi à te jam lectam legendam esse dico.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

katiem
Textkit Neophyte

Post by katiem »

My prof gave us a print-out of this website when I was in Intro to Latin Poetry. It was really helpful for me.

http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/rhetoric.html

katiem
Textkit Neophyte

Post by katiem »