Vocabulary Tool on Perseus?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Aletheia
Textkit Neophyte

Vocabulary Tool on Perseus?

Post by Aletheia »

Hi all-
It was recommended to me to check out the vocabulary tool (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/voc ... lang=greek) on the perseus project website. I've done that, but cannot get it to load anything for the nicomachean ethics. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice?? I would love to be able to use this tool!
Began half-heartedly learning Greek in 2001. Working diligently to take (for the third time) a translation exam of the Nicomachean Ethics as part of a PhD in ancient philosophy (May 2010). Mama to two little boys.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Vocabulary Tool on Perseus?

Post by modus.irrealis »

I don't know if there's something weird going on, but if not, I guess those four words (ὁ, καὶ, δὲ, and εἰμί) make up 25%. You get more words if you choose a different option on the "Show" bar on the right. I also like to use the sort by key term score as that makes the common little words not all appear at the top of the list.

Aletheia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Aletheia »

That's just it- when I select anything other than th top 25%, I have been getting an error message. But I just tried again and it worked!
Began half-heartedly learning Greek in 2001. Working diligently to take (for the third time) a translation exam of the Nicomachean Ethics as part of a PhD in ancient philosophy (May 2010). Mama to two little boys.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

Yeah, Perseus is a great site but it won't win any awards for reliability. For most things I prefer the mirror at http://perseus.uchicago.edu, but it doesn't seem to have any of the useful tools besides the parser.