German readers.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Bretonus
Textkit Neophyte

German readers.

Post by Bretonus »

Hello, I'm trying to cram as many languages as I can before I go for my masters, and I was hoping to find a reader for a beginner in German. For grammar I am using an old text my one prof gave me, German for Reading Knowledge. Any reccomendations?

BillWood
Textkit Neophyte

Re: German readers.

Post by BillWood »

Bretonus wrote:Hello, I'm trying to cram as many languages as I can before I go for my masters, and I was hoping to find a reader for a beginner in German. For grammar I am using an old text my one prof gave me, German for Reading Knowledge. Any reccomendations?
Just as food for thought: I visit our local library maybe once a month, and. at least 'our' local branch here in La Crosse WI has a program called friends of the library, and there is a little book shop within that library where you can buy books that have been removed from circulation. Over the last couple years I've bought my grandson a couple German books and dictionaries. There can be a wealth of information for often pennies on the dollar. While I've not found a particular Latin book yet, I keep looking : ) Good luck in your endeavors here Bill PS: The Library is also a good source, hundreds of books and tapes I take advantage of that source too, check them out for free... : )

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

I recommend Deutsche Sprachlehre für Ausländer by Schulz and Griesbach, which I've used when tutoring German. It's intended as a textbook but can also be used as a reader.

You might also check out:
Hannelore and William Crossgrove. Graded German Reader. ISBN 0669201596
Heinz Thorn. Beginner's German Reader. ISBN 084422170

If you haven't already, also take a look at the German lessons from the radio station Deutsche Welle.

I've compiled a list of some more resources here.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Bretonus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bretonus »

I considered getting that book, but I couldn't find any excerpts or good descriptions of it to know what to expect. Thank you. It should arrive within a couple weeks. I will probably not even start until the end of April though, given this term's schedule. Thanks again, I had a really difficult time finding a good reader at the beginner level.