Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
MsShibaInu
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MsShibaInu »

I am a new member. My name is Diana, I am 63, retired, and a fairly new grandmother. I am just in the beginning stage of learning Latin without formal training. I'm not sure how successful I will be or how much time and effort I will put into it. I have checked out books from the library, and purchased a self-study course. I hope I can persist as it is something I have always wanted to do. I am not really interested in learning Greek at this time; but who knows, as I learn Latin I may also develop an interest in Greek.

BillWood
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Member

Post by BillWood »

MsShibaInu wrote:I am a new member. My name is Diana, I am 63, retired, and a fairly new grandmother. I am just in the beginning stage of learning Latin without formal training. I'm not sure how successful I will be or how much time and effort I will put into it. I have checked out books from the library, and purchased a self-study course. I hope I can persist as it is something I have always wanted to do. I am not really interested in learning Greek at this time; but who knows, as I learn Latin I may also develop an interest in Greek.
Greetings Diana I too am a new member here, and am, I think, in the same boat as you are. I've retired a few years ago, and am just now really getting serious about learning Latin. I've always had 40 interests, but little to no discipline to actually excel in any of them : ) I'm hoping this board and folks like you will help keep my eyes on the goal : ) Hope to see you in some of the groups here and Happy Studying Bill

nov.ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov.ialiste »

MsShibaInu wrote:I am a new member. My name is Diana, I am 63, retired, and a fairly new grandmother. I am just in the beginning stage of learning Latin without formal training. I'm not sure how successful I will be or how much time and effort I will put into it. I have checked out books from the library, and purchased a self-study course. I hope I can persist as it is something I have always wanted to do. I am not really interested in learning Greek at this time; but who knows, as I learn Latin I may also develop an interest in Greek.
Welcome! :)

Learning Latin is a great hobby. I have been slowly learning Latin on and off for a number of years.

I didn't do Latin at school. It irritated me that I would see Latin words and phrases in books or on buildings and could only at best half understand them. So I began to study Latin alone as an adult.

At present I am studying Oerberg's Lingua Latina Familia Romana which is an excellent course, although all in Latin. Before that I worked through about two thirds of D'Ooges Latin for Beginners which is good for absolute beginners and available online as a PDF or as web pages.

balmaingirl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by balmaingirl »

Hi
I have just discovered this site, and I am really excited. I've wanted to learn Latin for years.

BillWood
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BillWood »

balmaingirl wrote:Hi
I have just discovered this site, and I am really excited. I've wanted to learn Latin for years.
Welcome on board, hopefully you'll find what you need here, the site seems to be great!!! I'm relatively new here myself, only a couple of days. And I think I already found a couple places to do my studies. Glad the place is laid out to what at least to me seems intuitive. Happy Studies Bill