Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
dydx
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dydx »

Hi everyone!

I have been coming to this site now for some time and finally decided to join. I enjoy the resources and the forums immensely.
I am learning latin now just for fun and because I have a passion for roman history. I started with lingua latina and quickly switched to wheelock's latin which I am now on chapter 34. I must be one of those odd-balls that enjoy learning latin through memorization of grammar :lol: .
A brief introduction of myself is that I am an undergraduate student studying mathematics and history (an odd combination I know). I have been slowly chipping away at wheelock's with my ultimate goal being able to comfortably read some of my favorite books in the original latin. And perhaps years from now I'll be bold enough to take on greek :) .

Thanks for reading,
dydx

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: New Member

Post by thesaurus »

Welcome, dydx! While I think you're in the minority who don't like using Lingua Latina, using whatever works best for you is what matters. Maybe you could read LL after you've gone through Wheelocks--that way you can soak of the Latin syntax and vocabulary without having to learn new accidence. I did this, and I think it did wonders for me.

Laetamur te advenisse, dydx! Cum Linguae Latinae non favere hic perquam rarum sit, oportet quolibet utaris adiumento quod tibi decens esse videtur. Capitulis Wheelock lectis, fortasse Linguam Latinam legere tibi placebit. Itaque syntaxin verbaque nova, grammatica minus imminente, facilius adprendere poteris. Idem feci ego atque mihi valde profuit.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

BillWood
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BillWood »

dydx wrote:Hi everyone!

I have been coming to this site now for some time and finally decided to join. I enjoy the resources and the forums immensely.
I am learning latin now just for fun and because I have a passion for roman history. I started with lingua latina and quickly switched to wheelock's latin which I am now on chapter 34. I must be one of those odd-balls that enjoy learning latin through memorization of grammar :lol: .
A brief introduction of myself is that I am an undergraduate student studying mathematics and history (an odd combination I know). I have been slowly chipping away at wheelock's with my ultimate goal being able to comfortably read some of my favorite books in the original latin. And perhaps years from now I'll be bold enough to take on greek :) .

Thanks for reading,
dydx
I tried reading some of this and fell flat on my face, had to hang onto the dictionary too much, and my translating skills are VERY week : ) So, I'm one of the ones that need the Grammar and vocabulary. Very pleased to meet you, and see how well you've done for yourself already!!! Happy Studies Bill PS I just told another member how bad I'm learning my English is too : ) Cheers

SPQR62
Textkit Neophyte

Post by SPQR62 »

Any suggestions of how best to use this site?

SPQR62 8)