I wasted too much time.

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
gigas phoberos
Textkit Neophyte

I wasted too much time.

Post by gigas phoberos »

a pityfull story friends.
I first started off teaching myself Greek, made good progress, then switched to Latin because there's more literature and history in Latin. And because it
also seems easier to learn. But I miss Greek! And want to come back. Despite the fact that Greek is harder, I'm coming back to it.
(God i wasted so much time!)

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Re: I wasted too much time.

Post by Swth\r »

gigas phoberos wrote:I [...] switched to Latin because there's more literature and history in Latin. [...]
Who says that? :D Wellcome back!
Dives qui sapiens est...

gigas phoberos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gigas phoberos »

I fear Greeks bearing verbs. But I'll stick with it.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Welcome back. All is forgiven.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

Yeah, I think it's highly debatable that there's more literature and history in Latin than in Greek! In fact, I don't know how you would even measure that. If you look at sheer quantity of stuff surviving from the ancient world, including papyrus receipts from Egypt -- who knows which would come out on top. It probably depends on where you draw the boundaries of your "canon": Classical Latin trails off into Medieval Latin, Classical Greek trails off into Byzantine Greek, etc. Also, it makes a huge difference what you count as "literature," and whether "history" means "writings about history" or "writings with historical value."

In any case, we can probably all agree that both Latin and Greek are well worth learning :)
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I doubt you have wasted your time. Given enough hindsight our dead-ends often turn into doorways.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

BillWood
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BillWood »

gigas phoberos wrote:a pityfull story friends.
I first started off teaching myself Greek, made good progress, then switched to Latin because there's more literature and history in Latin. And because it
also seems easier to learn. But I miss Greek! And want to come back. Despite the fact that Greek is harder, I'm coming back to it.
(God i wasted so much time!)

I think you wasted no time at all, you are one up on a lot of folks because you have your foot in two doors now, you should be able to have your cake and eat it too. Good luck in your studies : ) Bill Shalom

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Think of it this way. You will be able to use all the old Greek books that assume a knowledge of Latin. So maybe the time wasn't wasted?
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!