Marcus aurelius quote

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Skurk4N
Textkit Neophyte

Marcus aurelius quote

Post by Skurk4N »

Hey.

i was wondering if anyone could help me with a latin translation. If have been searching the web for hours for the latin translation of marcus aurelius' quote:

"Be content with what you are, and wish not change; nor dread your last day, nor long for it."

i know the meditations was written in greek, but i would like it in latin.

I know this isn't exactly the thing this forum is ment for, but i hope you can help.

/Skurk

cb
Textkit Zealot

Re: Marcus aurelius quote

Post by cb »

hi, it actually looks like the end of an epigram by martial (Book 10.XLVII, lines 12-13), although i don't know if marcus aurelius said something similar:

http://books.google.com/books?id=RWue1E ... q=&f=false

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

Yes, this is an interesting little mystery.... The version you've quoted definitely comes from Martial; specifically, from the 1920 Loeb translation by Walter Ker. (http://tinyurl.com/ygu9ksd) However, a Google search also reveals that the same quote is all over the internet, and usually attributed to Marcus Aurelius (probably 9 times out of 10, though a few people do mention Martial). Without spending some time in the library, I'm not sure how to confirm whether or not Marcus Aurelius also said it.

Anyway, since you wanted it in Latin, Martial is already in Latin, and nicely versified -- so perhaps that solves the (immediate) problem for you:

Quod sis, esse velis, nihilque malis;
Summum nec metuas diem, nec optes.

If there is in fact a (different) Marcus Aurelius version in Greek, we could also translate that for you. I would want to see it in Greek first, so we can make it as accurate as possible.

EDIT: PS: In case you're not familiar with Latin verse, this is how the Martial poem scans:
(- = long syllable, u = short)

- - - u u - u - -
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Damoetas wrote:Without spending some time in the library, I'm not sure how to confirm whether or not Marcus Aurelius also said it.
You have these meditations by Marcus Aurelius // Has habes meditationes apud Antoninum Imperatorem:
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus ([i]Thoughts[/i], trans. Long, 1889) wrote:III.7 for he who has preferred to everything else his own intelligence and daemon and the worship of its excellence, acts no tragic part, does not groan, will not need either solitude or much company; and, what is chief of all, he will live without either pursuing or flying from death...

XII.3 ...and if thou shalt strive to live only what is really thy life, that is, the present, — then thou wilt be
able to pass that portion of life which remains for thee up to the time of thy death free from perturbations, nobly, and obedient to thy own daemon [to the god that is within thee]
We know the Internet has a lot of false information alongside the good. You nicely give the exact English language source for the translated Martial, Damoetas, following cb's spot-on observation, so the misattribution is clear. To know whether Marcus Aurelius (121-180 CE) repeated Martial's (c. 40-103 CE) thought identially, or something similar to it, requires looking in one place only,—in the Meditations, which is available online. I think there's no other extant writing by him. It's not there.

Benè scitur in interrete reperi unâ cum bonis multa falsa. Accuratè verus anglicorum verborum fons apud Ker Martialis interpretem à te Damoetâ iam datus est, secundum observationem de cb perspicace; quâre clarum est perperàm verba pristina Marco Aurelio Antonino dari. An Antonius idem verbatim vel similem scripsisset, id facilè sciatur quià non exstat ullum ab eo scriptum (nisi fallor) separatim ille liber Meditationum qui ex interrete quaeratur. Non invenitur illîc tale epigramma.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi damoetas, your scansion above is missing two syllables. the verses are phalaecean hendecasyllables (see link 1 below). both verses show martial's characteristic initial spondee (see link 2 below) and his preference for a word-end after the 6th position, i.e. after VELIS in line 12 and after METVAS in line 13 (see link 3 below.) cheers, chad :)

link 1: http://books.google.fr/books?id=Cps3AAA ... q=&f=false
link 2: http://books.google.fr/books?id=TNJWid8 ... q=&f=false
link 3: http://books.google.fr/books?id=Cps3AAA ... q=&f=false

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

cb wrote:hi damoetas, your scansion above is missing two syllables.
Oh yes, I see that now - thanks!
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?