The Genitive of the Whole...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Einhard
Textkit Member

The Genitive of the Whole...

Post by Einhard »

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have a query about the Genitive of the Whole and its use with "milia" that's been puzzling me slightly. As you probably all know, and of which Wheelock has just informed me, if one wants to write "10,000 men" in Latin, the GOW is used and the phrase is written "milia vivorum". My question is , how does one say "10,000 of the men"? I presume the same form is used and one figures it out through context but I want to be sure, and Wheelock doesn't mention it. Thanks in advance,

Einhard.

Einhard
Textkit Member

Re: The Genitive of the Whole...

Post by Einhard »

Ok then, not sure what happened there. I meant to post a new message, and instead my very first post appears. Hmmm, nostalgic gremlins at work no doubt. Anyway, as I can't figure out how to remove the above just yet, and have a large plate of pancakes awaiting me, I'd advise just to ignore it.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: The Genitive of the Whole...

Post by adrianus »

Hmm! A large plate of pancakes for Shrove Tuesday! Impossible to ignore.

Êia! Catinum laganorum pro Vigiliâ Carnisprivii! Impossible negligere.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.