LXX. THE RIVAL CENTURIONS

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
vastor
Textkit Neophyte

LXX. THE RIVAL CENTURIONS

Post by vastor »

Salvete omnes,

I'm trying to translate this latin:
Hic casus vaginam avertit et dextram manus eius gladium educere conatis moratur.

I translated the first sentence as:
That accident/calamity disturbed the (his Sword's?) sheath/scabbard.

Then we come to the second with its unspecified subject which I'm assuming is the same as the first sentence:
It delayed his sword while/when trying to raise his right hand.
The present participle conatis agrees with eius in the genitive case, so it must modify that, yet the meaning seems the wrong way around. Shouldn't it delay his hand when trying to draw up his sword? I don't follow the meaning of the latin and find it confusing.

Edit:
Or could it be:
It is delaying his right hand when his sword is trying to draw up.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: LXX. THE RIVAL CENTURIONS

Post by bedwere »

Hic casus vaginam avertit et dextram manum eius gladium educere conantis moratur

Litterally:

That accident moves away the sheath and delays the right hand of him who was trying to draw up the sword.

vastor
Textkit Neophyte

Re: LXX. THE RIVAL CENTURIONS

Post by vastor »

Thank you bedwere, that makes perfect sense now. For some reason I had convinced myself that eius was a possessive adjective, however now that I see your translation, it's clear it can only be a personal pronoun.