about a medieval latin dictionary

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

about a medieval latin dictionary

Post by Junya »

Mediae Latinitatis Lexicon Minus: Lexique Latin Medieval - Medieval Latin Dictionary - Mittellateinisches Worterbuch (Multilingual Edition) (Hardcover)

http://www.amazon.com/Mediae-Latinitati ... 346&sr=8-1

Hi. I am strongly curious about REnaissance treatises on magic and medicine, though I have never read one. I want to read them as a hobby, and maybe more seriously later. So I want to know if this dictionary is very helpful or not.

I usually read philosophical texts in relation to Aristotle, in Latin and recently in Greek. And solely for polishing of Latin reading ability, I read Roman writers like Tertullianus and Augustinus, though they are not really my concern

As to dictionary, I use bantam and a compact one by a Japanese author for philosophical texts, because they ar easy.
For Augustinus and Tertullianus I mainly use the big Lewis&Short, for an accurate reading and for improvement of my Latin knowledge. I don't have Oxford Latin Dictionary.

I am presently very ill, so reply might be late. I'm sorry in advance.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: about a medieval latin dictionary

Post by adrianus »

You need Niermeyer alongside L&S, and sometimes you also have to look at Du Cange. Be creative with alternative spelling, too, when looking things up, Junya, as you know.

"Very useful" for magic and medicine? "Sometimes useful", is all you can say.

Opus est illud de Niermeyer unâ cum illo de L&S, aliquandò autem in dictionarium de Du Cange inquirere non negligas. Tu, Junya, inquirens orthographiam multò et saepè mutes, ut jam scis.

Perutilene est artibus magicis medicisque? Dicemus utile interdúm.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I had a look. In the list of authors consulted by Niermeyer, there are many more ecclesiastics than medical doctors or of those involved in the magical arts, which isn't surprising. Those types aren't mutually exclusive, of course, but you know what I mean, I hope.

Ita verificavi. In tabulâ auctorum quos Niermeyer adhibuit sunt abundè multiores ecclesiasticorum quàm medicorum vel magorum artium magicarum, quod non mirum est. Studia unius hominis illa caeteri non excludunt, te autem me benè intelligere spero.
Last edited by adrianus on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

Hi, Adrianus. :D
You have no problem with your study life? You are doing very well?
As I told you long ago, I 've got health problem, which affects my study life.
When I study or do anything that needs concentration, I soon feel strange feeling on the facial skin, and immediately I look in the mirror, when I find a lesion on the spot I felt the feeling right now. The place almost recovers with steroid ointment, but never perfectly. I don't like to become an ugly man with a lot of strange scars on the face, so I can't work at all. I have to restrict the amount of study, and all kinds of communication including on the internet (communication needs concentration). :|

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Hi Junya // Salve Junya.
junya wrote:You have no problem with your study life? You are doing very well?
Well, I can't complain, because it's in my power to fix my problems. You're in a tougher position. I'm sorry about that.

Me queri non oportet, cum penes me sit difficultates praesentes superare. Tibi autem difficilius est. Quod me ad misericordiam adducit.