test one sentence for me!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
yuntao
Textkit Neophyte

Post by yuntao »

I have translated one Latin sentence, but I am not sure whether it is right.please check it for me,Thank you very much:
unusquisque Locus castum & divinum de Nuptiis continent Intellectum secundum Expositionem moralem.
My translation: Every place about marriage contains pure and divine discernment according to moral exposition. or Every place about pure and divine marriage contains discernment according to moral exposition.
Best wishes !

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: test one sentence for me!

Post by adrianus »

Dicam hoc, yuntao // Well, I would say this, yuntao: "Every place [or passage] contains something pure and holy about marriage understood [/judged/viewed] in [/according to] a moral way [/explanation/treatment]
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

yuntao
Textkit Neophyte

Post by yuntao »

Dear adrianus ,Thanks a lot for your warm-hearted help!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Gladly. I just hope that what I said is right, yuntao.
Libenter. At spero, yuntao, me rectè dixisse.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

For what it's worth, I think Adrianus' explanation is right!

It's interesting that in this passage, unusquisque takes a plural verb (continent). I did a search on Perseus under Philologic (search results here: http://artflx.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/phil ... LatinTexts); in this data set, unusquisque almost always takes a singular verb. The apparent exceptions are when it is sort of in "apposition" to a plural subject, like this:

et abierunt filii Israhel unusquisque in possessionem suam ut obtinerent eam...
'and the sons of Israel went away, each one to his own inheritance, to take possession of it...' (Vulgate, Judges 2.6)

It appears that unusquisque is used almost exclusively in late and medieval Latin, except for a few occurrences in Caesar and Livy. Yuntao, does your sentence come from a medieval text?
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

yuntao
Textkit Neophyte

Post by yuntao »

Dear Damoetas , This sentence is not from the medieval text, but from one modern man Thomas Woolston's writing Six Discourses On The Miracles Of Our Saviour And Defences Of His Discourses 1727-1730, In which he quoted many ancient writers( such as Cicero ,Virgil ) and fathers' sayings, but he often changed their original expression and made mistakes in spelling and grammamer.