Schoder and Horrigan

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
fordprefect
Textkit Neophyte

Schoder and Horrigan

Post by fordprefect »

I've found this book far easier and better organized than Pharr's, but also far less detailed, and enjoy it quite a bit. On the other hand, I haven't got an answer key. Someone posted a link to one a while back, but that link is dead. Anyone save the link, or have an updated key?

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: Schoder and Horrigan

Post by Lex »

I couldn't find anything on the 'Net. There is a reprint of the answer key available from Amazon for $20, though.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

mtcougar832
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mtcougar832 »

Found a copy via Archive.org - through lesson 94. Its been a life-saver. I saved it to my computer too, just in case.

fordprefect
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fordprefect »

Thank you! Fantastic find.

Lina
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lina »

I've been considering getting the revised "Reading Course in Homeric Greek" (3rd Ed.)

I've gone through Athenaze, books I and II. How different is Homeric greek for a person who has already gone through an Attic grammar? Take your IQ, subtract 30 points and that's probably my IQ. Horrible memory.

Any good advice about trying this?

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

I'm not familiar with that book, but my experience has been that at first the going is slow but then it becomes much better, so if you're willing to slog through the early stages, you'll be fine. The syntax rules are pretty much the same as Attic and I'm sure the book would point the few differences -- and in fact the sentence structure in Homer is easier than what you typically get in Attic works, although the fact that it's poetry can obscure that at times. There are differences in the inflections, but my main problem was the number of inflectional alternatives, especially with the pronouns (and of course, learning the vocabulary). But once you get used to it, and it's similar enough to Attic that you can pick it up as you go, it becomes much more reasonable.

There's also an edition of the first book of the Iliad by Draper, which is designed for people in your position, who want to go from the Attic they know to reading Homer. It's very thorough, so you might want to take a look at it as well.

Lina
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lina »

Thank you, modus.irrealus.

There were some glowing reviews of the Draper book on Amazon and it appears to be exactly what I was looking for!