Textkit Logo

JACT Reading Greek?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

JACT Reading Greek?

Postby Scribo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:34 pm

Has any body used this text book? I took them out as means to revise (since no matter how well I knew the Grammar my reading was godawfully slow...) and I found that it's slow but enjoyable. Admittedly I don't know how good an idea it is for me to be using them as revision...but still...

Any thoughts?
Scribo
Textkit Zealot

Re: JACT Reading Greek?

Postby oberon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:46 am

I have a number of works by the JACT. I barely looked at their textbook. It offered nothing new, and (coming from a background of learning modern languages as well) I think Athenaze is my favorite textbook. However, in teaching and tutoring greek students, I have found their anthologies (particularly A Greek Anthology excellent.
oberon
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Markos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:12 pm

This stuff is okay. I can think of ten similar books that I would recommend over JACT.
I am writing in Ancient Greek not because I know Greek well, but because I hope that it will improve my fluency in reading. I got the idea for this from Adrianus over on the Latin forum here at Textkit.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Postby Jeff Tirey » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:22 am

I first learned Ancient Greek with JACT. The textbook that's going to work best I think depends a lot on your own skill level with language and grammar and your learning environment (classroom, independent, etc..). JACT's fine but for me, it's not my favorite. I have not opened the textbook in about 12 years but I recall that it introduced concepts gradually and not at all in a traditional way. This could be seen as a positive or negative. White and Sidgwick are my favorites because they all stress a good amount of composition from the very start.

I agree too that the JACT readers are nice. Those were fun.

jeff
Textkit Founder
Jeff Tirey
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Learning Greek