ATTENTION!! -WELCOME TO THE NEW FORUM - HOW TO LOGIN

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

ATTENTION!! -WELCOME TO THE NEW FORUM - HOW TO LOGIN

Post by Jeff Tirey »

We finally upgraded the forum to a more powerful script with better features. Try the search features for starters. You'll also notice new things you can do like read new posts since last visit and read unanswered posts.

When we migrated the forum, your password had to be reset to a new temporary password.

Your new password is the first 2 digits of your old password

Once you have logged in, please reset your password to whatever you like.

We'll be making lots of tweaks to the forum (including the template) in the days ahead - so pardon the work-in-progress.

thanks,
jeff
Last edited by Jeff Tirey on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Looks good! Will we be getting a new 'alpha' button? This board seems to work differently from the old one...
Like the new Smilies :twisted:

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

yeap, I won't forget the alpha button - but before that I need to get the template inplace.

Try the search features - they're 1000 times better than the old forum script.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Just tried out the search tool. Only problem is you still have to spell the word your searching for correctly... :wink:

mariek
Global Moderator

RTFM first

Post by mariek »

Well, I guess I shoulda looked in here before trying to login!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

It's like being a giant maze at first-I feel pretty lost! :? I imagine I'll get it all straightened out after a day or two. I like the new smiley-faces!

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Will go with Unicode once win98 are a thing of a the past - for now there are too many users using win98 to make the change.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Clemens wrote: Did you ever think about another font instead of (or additional to) SPIonic? I don't know what the other users think but I hate these annoying spacing problems...what about some Unicode based font like Palatino Linotype? :)
Various options had been looked at but SPIonic is the most widely available. And those people who don't have access to the font can still see Betacode.

Unicode is of course the Holy Grail, but there are a few problems, not least of which is entry. Jeff'd have to write some sort of input form to compose the Greek. Also, on those machines that cannot handle Unicode people will see nonsense. Not everyone can afford to upgrade their OS every time a new version comes out

The SPIonic choice isn't ideal, but it maximizes usability for now. Perhaps in a few more years Unicode will be truly universal.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Ay!

Jeff, is it possible to blot out those stupid "Information" windows? I'm perfectly well aware when I've done things like post a message or mark them as read. I'd rather not have to click through a message telling me that what I just asked to do was done just to get back to the board.

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

...but there are a few problems, not least of which is entry. Jeff'd have to write some sort of input form to compose the Greek.
Ever heard of Keyman? It's a free Software which is very useful for such things...
Also, on those machines that cannot handle Unicode people will see nonsense. Not everyone can afford to upgrade their OS every time a new version comes out
That's true, of course... I think that would be the only argument against Unicode...:)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

annis wrote:Ay!

Jeff, is it possible to blot out those stupid "Information" windows? I'm perfectly well aware when I've done things like post a message or mark them as read. I'd rather not have to click through a message telling me that what I just asked to do was done just to get back to the board.
It will redirect you to the thread you just posted in, which isn't that bad, but I too would like it to go back to the forum either directly or instead of the thread...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

benissimus wrote:
annis wrote:Ay!

It will redirect you to the thread you just posted in, which isn't that bad, but I too would like it to go back to the forum either directly or instead of the thread...
I'm looking into how to remove this - I don't like it either. I guess it's someone's idea of how to create more pageviews??

Hamilton
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hamilton »

Looks very nice!!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I agree. I am still used to the other format though...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Warming up

Post by mariek »

I'm warming up to the new format. And slowly getting used to the quoting and tags.

I have to say that the color scheme is low key ... which is a good thing when I'm visiting the forum at work. ;)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

benissimus wrote:I am still used to the other format though...
Me, too. But I'm getting used to this one. It's been changing colors on me, though...very confusing! :)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

φεῦ , I like this green better than the blue. But the font tag doesn't seem to work yet?
Great work, Jeff!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Clemens wrote: Ever heard of Keyman? It's a free Software which is very useful for such things...
Hmm. The only Unicode editor called "keyman" I can find does have to be paid for, and only works on Windows.
That's true, of course... I think that would be the only argument against Unicode...:)
I agree. But it may be a few years before Unicode is really ubiquitous.

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Hmm. The only Unicode editor called "keyman" I can find does have to be paid for, and only works on Windows.
Keyman from www.tavultesoft.com is free for personal use and you are right, it only works on windows :( - that's a pity because it really works well and is easy to handle... :)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

hey jeff, I know you're still working out the details on the new forum, but can I make a request? The little icons beside each forum and topic, the ones that turn orange when there is a new post... on my monitor I can barely see the difference between the white and the orange so I really have to peer to figure out if there's a new post or not. Can we make those more obvious, either by brightening up the orange or making the white one empty (like the old way) or both? thanks! that would really help my eyes... :)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

klewlis wrote:hey jeff, I know you're still working out the details on the new forum, but can I make a request? The little icons beside each forum and topic, the ones that turn orange when there is a new post... on my monitor I can barely see the difference between the white and the orange so I really have to peer to figure out if there's a new post or not.
I'm not crazy about that orange either. I'll look into making/finding green ones.

jeff