Libraries

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

Re:Libraries

Post by mariek »

<br />I can't seem to get everything to line up. I'm using * as blank spots.<br /><br />x - - |<br />- | - |<br />- * | -<br />| L - x<br /> d <br /><br /><br />x - - |<br />- | - |<br />- L | -<br />| * - x<br /> d<br /><br /><br />x - - |<br />- | - |<br />- L | -<br />| - * x<br /> d <br /><br />x - - |<br />- | - |<br />- L * -<br />| - | x<br /> d <br /><br />x - - |<br />- | - |<br />- L - *<br />| - | x<br /> d <br /><br />x - - |<br />- | - *<br />- L - |<br />| - | x<br /> d <br /><br />x - - *<br />- | - |<br />- L - |<br />| - | x<br /> d <br /><br /><br />x - * -<br />- | - |<br />- L - |<br />| - | x<br /> d <br /><br /><br />x * - -<br />- | - |<br />- L - |<br />| - | x<br /> d <br /><br />x | - -<br />- * - |<br />- L - |<br />| - | x<br /> d <br /><br /><br />x | - -<br />- L - |<br />- * - |<br />| - | x<br /> d <br /><br />

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Nice job, and good idea to line up the symbols with * for blank space. But how would the librarian pick a book up from the target shelf? ;) To pick up a book, the librarian will have to face one of the four sides of the shelf, since each of the bookshelves would fill a square grid, like a square in a chessboard, or the 15 numbers puzzle pieces. Also, for the librarian to move a bookshelf, he/she must be able to reach the shelf through empty space(s).(Though a remote control ability could remove this condition, who would do such a fuss except some rich book-collector who has enough room for ordinary library?)<br /><br />

Code: Select all

<br />E * F *   <br />A B C D <br />* L * G       <--  L can pull/push A, B, and C but cannot D,E,F.<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br /> :o Ah... I see. I missed that requirement. OK, back to the drawing board.... >:(

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Carola wrote:Has anyone read Umberto Eco's "Name of the Rose"? Now they had a really good library (although it came to a poor end - I won't give away the entire plot). Not only could you get lost in it but you had to understand the code to get around in it.

OK, let's see if I get get quoting, color, and italics working correctly on the new and improved board. :)

I've heard of Name of the Rose, but haven't read it yet. Someone told me it was very good, so I've put it on my long list of books "to read" (so don't tell me anything about the plot!). It sounds fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 66MTFXBBLR

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I've heard of Name of the Rose, but haven't read it yet. Someone told me it was very good, so I've put it on my long list of books "to read" (so don't tell me anything about the plot!). It sounds fascinating.
You must read this - he throws in lots of Latin, and because he doesn't translate it I then realised how rusty my school Latin had become so, here I am at Textkit!! It was really the catalyst for doing a BA in Classical Studies. Sadly, some of Eco's later books are not really quite so interesting (although "Foucalt's Pendulum" was pretty good). His later books tend to get bogged down and the air of mystery in "Name of the Rose" becomes total mystification (for the reader). Someone should tell him about the KISS method!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Carola wrote: You must read this - he throws in lots of Latin, and because he doesn't translate it I then realised how rusty my school Latin had become so, here I am at Textkit!!

Now this is an interesting tidbit I didn't know about the book. I think I'll have to bump this book up the "to read" list.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Pascal does that, too, in his Pensees. Sometimes they put the translation in footnotes at the bottom and sometimes they don't. I think they forgot sometimes...