Non-English Based Learning Latin textbooks / manuals

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
albertde
Textkit Neophyte

Non-English Based Learning Latin textbooks / manuals

Post by albertde »

This posting is addressed to the organizers of textkit on behalf of:<br /><br />
  • native English-speaking learners who have learned other languages
  • native speakers of languages other than English
<br /><br />I was wondering whether non-native English speakers frequenting the textkit forums could recommend Latin text books in their native languages that they have found useful.<br /><br />Here's why: When Latin textbooks using English as the explaining language mention a topic there is usually no mention of languages other than Latin. When a Latin textbook mentions that some prepositions can take the Ablative when there is no motion and the Accusative when there is, I immediately think of Russian and German where there is something similar. (In Russian, with no motion you use the Prepositional Case and in German it's the Dative, whereas with both these languages it's the Accusative with motion just as in Latin.) Now what would be interesting is to learn the exceptions when Latin uses the Ablative and Russian or German uses the Accusative and conversely (mutatis mutandis). And that kind of information would only be available in Latin manuals for Germans or Russians.<br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Re:Non-English Based Learning Latin textbooks / manuals

Post by Emma_85 »

Well I'd like to help, but I doubt any of my German Latin grammars would very helpful (unless you've only just started learning Latin and are 10 years old ;) ). <br /><br />What I also find interesting is how some verbs demand a certain case. Sometimes German verbs demand the same case, but not always (well, naturally not if it's the ablative :-P ).

chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chrisb »

I don't know any books, but BRalpha (Bavarian education broadcasting on Astra satellite channel 41) occasionally sends out a set of broadcasts called Pauk Mit. There are approximately 40 programmes. Quite fun for us English speakers. Good luck with your quest!<br /><br />ChrisB<br /><br />

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

In French, there is a Belgian manual due to Professors of Liege University :<br />Etienne FAMERIE, Arthur BODSON & Michel DUBUISSON, Méthode de langue latine, Nathan Université, Paris, 2002 [1989].<br />With a key to the exercises.

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Hi all, I've been very busy lately. I'm writing a paper on the Erinyes in Greek tragedy.
However, I passed by and saw this topic.
Interesting.
In French, there is a Belgian manual due to Professors of Liege University :
Etienne FAMERIE, Arthur BODSON & Michel DUBUISSON, Méthode de langue latine, Nathan Université, Paris, 2002 [1989].
With a key to the exercises.
Interesting. Is it still in print? And what can I find in this book? Basic exercises about grammer (Morphology and Syntax, etc.)?
Or is it more translating sentences form Frensh into Latin?

Does anyone know that?

Greets,

Moerus