purchasing a grammar

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
dlb
Textkit Member

purchasing a grammar

Post by dlb »

I am looking for recomendations concerning the purchase of a Latin grammar - any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Does the age of the grammar matter? For example: A&G 1903 version vs the same 2001 by Pullins Co.?
Thanks!
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: purchasing a grammar

Post by Lex »

I will leave the scholarly recommendations to those better qualified. My main suggestion is to check out any used book stores in your area. I've found a number of good older grammars and readers in the $3 to $5 range in the used book stores local to me. Be aware that the new printings of older books are often just fascimile reproductions. The quality of the print may thus actually be better in the older copies than in the reprints.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

I have a newer Allen and Greenough and I am happy with it. Bennet is small and to the point. Super Review Latin is a good and cheap reprint of a Dooge book. It has exercises in it, but it works as a Grammar. Super Review markets it as an AP review. The 2001 Pullins AG is not just a facsimile. It is my rec.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

I have the Pullins reprint and my only complaint is that the page isn't marked to tell you the paragraph numbers on each page, but every reference is through the paragraph numbers, so it can be annoying to find where something is. I know it's not a serious issue but it's something that could have easily been avoided. But there are no issues other than that, and I haven't noticed any differences from the 1903 version online (at the Perseus site for example) -- the foreword says the section on metre has been changed, but I haven't used this material in either version so I can't say if it's been improved (although my guess would be it has been).

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

I recommend a coursebook such as Latin Via Ovid and Lingua Latina. These give the fire, water, earth and air for learning and understanding the language, which things will stay with one much better than a periodic table of too many things to remember.

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

modus.irrealis wrote: ... and I haven't noticed any differences from the 1903 version online (at the Perseus site for example) -- the foreword says the section on metre has been changed, ...
Thanks for the reply. This is what I was looking for - a verification of no or few changes due to more recent printings.

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

Essorant wrote:I recommend a coursebook such as Latin Via Ovid and Lingua Latina. These give the fire, water, earth and air for learning and understanding the language, which things will stay with one much better than a periodic table of too many things to remember.
I read Lingua Latina most evenings prior to retiring. Before that I work on Wheelocks and exercises from St. Louis Univ. The issue I am having is that my 'evening devotionals' w/ Lingua Latina are outpacing my knowledge gained via Wheelocks so I am constantly scrambling to keep up w/ LL, however I can. My reading of LL is also causing me to realize that I need a grammar, a centralized place to lookup info on Latin grammar.
Thanks,
dlb
Last edited by dlb on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

dlb wrote:I read Lingua Latina most evenings prior to retiring. Before that I work on Wheelocks and exercises from St. Louis Univ. The issue I am having is that my 'evening devotionals' w/ Lingua Latina are outstripping my knowledge gained via Wheelocks so I am constantly scrambling to keep up w/ LL, however I can. My reading of LL is also causing me to realize that I need a grammar, a centralized place to lookup info on Latin grammar.
Thanks,
dlb
If this is the case, I would really recommend the college companion. I bought it when I started teaching from Lingua Latina. It is quite good.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

paulusnb wrote:
dlb wrote:I read Lingua Latina most evenings prior to retiring. Before that I work on Wheelocks and exercises from St. Louis Univ. The issue I am having is that my 'evening devotionals' w/ Lingua Latina are outpacing my knowledge gained via Wheelocks so I am constantly scrambling to keep up w/ LL, however I can. My reading of LL is also causing me to realize that I need a grammar, a centralized place to lookup info on Latin grammar.
Thanks,
dlb
If this is the case, I would really recommend the college companion. I bought it when I started teaching from Lingua Latina. It is quite good.

Thanks for the reply. I believe, from your reply & from others, that I can't go wrong w/ A&G's grammar and that there appears to be no diference in context between the various editions.
Thanks again to everyone,
dlb

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

I have Morwood's and a PDF of A&G, so far it's going just fine.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose