Why is this genetive?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
dsimo04
Textkit Neophyte

Why is this genetive?

Post by dsimo04 »

Line 3 of the preface to book one of Quintilian's Institutio Oratoria begins:

Quamvis autem non tam me vinceret praestandi quod exigebatur fiducia quam negandi verecundia, latius se tamen aperiente materia plus quam imponebatur oneris sponte suscepi,...

Why is onus in the genetive?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Why is this genetive?

Post by adrianus »

Salve dsimo04

Personally, I believe the "oneris" qualifies "materia" and I would put a comma after "oneris".
Ego equidem hoc puto: oneris vocabulum vocabulo materiae adjicitur et commam post oneris vocabulum scribam.
Quamvis...latiùs se tamen aperiente materiâ plus quam imponebatur oneris, sponte suscepi
Despite...nevertheless the substance of the work being self-evidently more extensive than what was [being] proposed, I volunteered [voluntarily accepted]
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Hm, I would rather say that oneris goes with plus: "... sponte suscepi plus oneris quam imponebatur". I suppose you could translate this literally as "more of work".

The whole sentence then goes something like this:
"But even though I was not persuaded so much by confidence in fulfilling that which was demanded, as by the shame of refusing, nevertheless, as the subject unfolded, I voluntarily undertook more work than was imposed."

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I didn't think of that.
Id non consideravi.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.