Leading a Latin group

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Rindu
Textkit Member

Leading a Latin group

Post by Rindu »

Hi,
I don't know which forum would be best to ask or offer this, but here goes:
Is there any interest in a Latin group? How would I advertise it?

I would like to lead a group though Wheelock's or some other introductory text, and teach/tutor/mentor people so that they can learn Latin. I'd like it to be a textkit group, but I don't know to find people who may be interested.

I have taught Latin for two years, attended graduate school for classical languages and was mentored in the art of Latin pedagogy by Someone Famous, so I can assure you that I'd be good for this. I just want to volunteer and help out. So, is anyone interested? I have a good idea of how I would like to structure it, and I'm very comfortable teaching out of Wheelocks (as I have done so before) but would also like to use one of the free textbooks available here, to keep everything cheap.

I can also lead reading groups. I have a particular interest right now actually in reading Caesar.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Leading a Latin group

Post by adrianus »

Salve Rindu

Put it also to members of the Wheelock's Latin forum on Textkit.
Et sodalibus fori Textkit quod grammaticam de Wheelock spectat proponas.

viewforum.php?f=19&st=0&sk=t&sd=d&start=0
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Rindu
Textkit Member

Post by Rindu »

Done. I wonder how much use a Wheelock's group specifically would be, though, given that there is an answer key and boards to ask questions...

Einhard
Textkit Member

Post by Einhard »

Salve Rindu,

I've already worked my way through Wheelock and others, so I'll pass on the starter texts group, but I'd be interested in participating in the reading group. Ceasar would suit me too, though my edition of the Gallic Wars is woeful, and about as old as the conflict itself, so I'd need time to get my hands on a newer version. Although, come to think of it, I think there's a downloadable edition on this very site. Which is handy (read cheaper!). Anyway, if you plan to go ahead with the reading group, I'd be happy to sign up, so let me know if you have any ideas on how to proceed.

Einhard.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Rindu wrote:I wonder how much use a Wheelock's group specifically would be, though, given that there is an answer key and boards to ask questions...
That, surely, is the very nature of the Textkit site, Rindu, as I see it: asking questions, venturing answers, helping one another in a language-learning community of practice? By posing the question and reading the answers, you will know eventually whether it's a useful proposal. Isn't it nice that you offer in the first place.

Nonnè ipsa natura, Rindu, Textkit sitûs id est, ut puto: aliquos quaestiones rogare, alios responsa proferre, utrosque ab utrisque adjuvari intra communitatem exercitandi ad linguam discendam? Quaestione positâ, exspecta paulisper. De utilitate rei quam obtulisti, indicia demùm habebis. Bellum imprimis quod rem deliberandam proponis!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

Hello, Rindu, and thank you for your generous offer.
I would very much like to learn Latin and join the beginners' group.

Regards,
Nate.
Nate.

Rindu
Textkit Member

Post by Rindu »

Ok, so so far there's one person interested in a reading group and another in a learning group. I'd rather there be more people for the learning group. Haven't there been learning groups on Textkit before, or has that died out?

Einhard
Textkit Member

Post by Einhard »

Wow, I hadn't anticipated that there'd be quite such a massive rush of enthusiasm for Rindu's idea. I'm surprised the textkit servers are holding up so well under all the added strain! Seriously, is there nobody else who'd be interested in joining either of the proposed groups?

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

If the Caesar ever gets off the ground, I would be interested. We had an Ovid group starting up a few months ago. The listserv from Textkit never worked. I posted some Ovid musings on the site but no one seemed to bite. To read the tragic fate of the group and my messages writ on water, look here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9273&start=20.

Repeat. I would be interested in Caesar.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

Einhard wrote:Seriously, is there nobody else who'd be interested in joining either of the proposed groups?
I sent a PM, via the Wheelocks board, but have had no reply. I too am interested and would gladly join the learning group. Let me know if you receive any updated info.
Thanks,
dlb
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

justerman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by justerman »

Hi Rindu

I'd be interested in a Caesar group.

I'm currently reading Gallic Wars with the Latinstudy group. We present our translations each week, but there is little discussion, and I would find it interesting and useful if we could highlight, and receive guidance on, (probably short) sections that proved difficult

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I'd be up for a stroll through Wheelock, too.

vastor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by vastor »

I'd be interested in a learning group, however I don't own nor have I read wheelock. Perhaps choosing a course that is freely available would prove more popular?

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

Is Rindu still interested in leading a Latin group? Anyone contacted him?
Nate.

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

NateD26 wrote:Is Rindu still interested in leading a Latin group? Anyone contacted him?
I sent a P.M. a couple of weeks ago but have received no response.
Is anyone else interested in taking up this mantle?
dlb
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.