"I feel" in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

"I feel" in Latin

Post by vir litterarum »

I understand the the sense of the verb "to feel x" can be supplied in certain contexts by one verb, e.g. for "I feel happy" one could use "laetor." But what if no such verb exists; what if one wished to say "I feel cold" in the sense that it may not actually be cold around him and the speaker may not actually be cold but simply is experiencing the sensation of coldness?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: "I feel" in Latin

Post by bedwere »

Frigidum me sentio?

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

But wouldn't that mean that one perceives that he is actually cold? If I were in a sweltering desert, for example, and for some strange reason I still felt cold, would I say "Frigidum me sentio," even though I knew that I was not actually cold but only felt that way?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

"Frigorem/algorem sentio" seu "Me frigidum esse sentio", seu "Algeo" = "I feel cold"

Sentio has subjective and objective senses (same with "percipere" = "perceive" or "feel").
Et objectivum et subjectivum sensum habet "sentire" verbum (sicut et "percipere").
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.