Are there any new elementary Greek groups starting up?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
christophershelton
Textkit Neophyte

Are there any new elementary Greek groups starting up?

Post by christophershelton »

I am wondering if anyone knows of any new elementary Attic/Koine Groups starting or just newly started. I have a few texts already: Mounce, Machen, JACT 2nd edition, Athenaze; but I'll spring for another one if a group is using it. GreekStudy looks too far along in all of their groups; but, early Fall usually sees the beginning of a new Greek group somewhere.
I will appreciate any and all suggestions. (Oh, I should add that I have gone too long without practicing to start too far from the beginning.)
Christopher Shelton

christophershelt@bellsouth.net

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Re: Are there any new elementary Greek groups starting up?

Post by jaihare »

Nathan and I have just completed section 120 of First Greek Book (available on this website for free). We are posting our work on my forum at http://www.jhronline.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17. The password to access the forum is 123456 (nothing big!). Just enter the password and see if you're interested in joining us. We are moving quickly through First Greek Book, but we're moving more slowly through Athenaze.

To access the Athenaze forum, you'll need to send me a PM so that I can send you the password. We are posting our exercises on their, as well as the reading assignments, which means that it's copyright sensitive. It can only be shared with people who have a copy of the text, so I keep that forum password protected. So, just contact me for access. We're now in chapter 3 of Athenaze, and we're working slow — a full chapter about every two weeks, depending on how much we need to work out with our newer fellow studier. :)

You're welcome to join in. If you're pretty good with the grammar at the beginning, feel free to drop into the First Greek Book group.

Jason

Prometheus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Prometheus »

I would also like to suggest the thread I started on here, "Like to Start New Group?" under "First Greek Book--White", where we've posted some simple Greek readings from White's book (which Jason was kind enough to type in) and from the ancient author Xenophon. The discussion is intented to be beginner-friendly and provide as much reading practice as possible. (I'm also interested in joining a group working on Athenaze.)

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Prometheus wrote:I would also like to suggest the thread I started on here, "Like to Start New Group?" under "First Greek Book--White", where we've posted some simple Greek readings from White's book (which Jason was kind enough to type in) and from the ancient author Xenophon. The discussion is intented to be beginner-friendly and provide as much reading practice as possible. (I'm also interested in joining a group working on Athenaze.)
Az Yalla, Prometheus -- get in on our Athenaze group!! You can post your work on the forum!!

Prometheus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Prometheus »

Az Yalla, Prometheus -- get in on our Athenaze group!! You can post your work on the forum!!
Love it!! Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, and English on the same line--looks like this might be the start of a new κοινή! ;)

Lee

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Prometheus wrote:Love it!! Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, and English on the same line--looks like this might be the start of a new κοινή! ;)

Lee
אז - Az (so)
يلا (or يالله) - Yalla (come on!)

Just for those who didn't know. In Hebrew, we write يلا (yalla!) as יאללה. It's used in daily speach in Israel.