A Wendell Berry quote

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
NathanSmith
Textkit Neophyte

A Wendell Berry quote

Post by NathanSmith »

Praise ignorance, for what man has not encountered, he has not destroyed.
So far I have:

ευλογει αγνωσιαν, ὅ γαρ ανθρωπος ουχ ευρηκεν, ὅ ουκ απολωλεν.

I am struggling with the relative pronouns. Is it OK to use a relative twice (as I did) without a referent when its generic? Please excuse the lack of accents. ;-)
Open Scriptures - Platform for the development of open scriptural linked data and its applications

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: A Wendell Berry quote

Post by modus.irrealis »

You don't need a second relative, just the first one, and the lack of referent seems correct to me.

ἀπόλωλα, despite its active endings, has a passive sense -- you need ἀπολώλεκεν.

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

A few small suggestions:

ἐπαινέω is a better word for 'praise.' This is what is used in Plato's dialogues in a similar context (to name one example).

Abstract nouns often take the article; hence, τὴν ἀγνωσίαν. Likewise nouns referring to an entire class: ὁ ἄνθρωπος, 'man,' i.e. the human race.

I have a sense that the word order of the last part could be polished up a little bit. Putting it all together, I would say:

ἐπαίνει τὴν ἀγνωσίαν· ὃ γὰρ οὐχ εὕρηκεν ὁ ἄνθρωπος οὐκ ἀπολώλεκεν.

Or, if you don't want it to be a command to a single individual, but a general statement, "One should praise..." you could use one of the verbal adjective in -τέον (Smyth 2149-52):

ἐπαινητέον τὴν ἀγνωσίαν....
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

NathanSmith
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NathanSmith »

Thanks for the feedback. :-)
Open Scriptures - Platform for the development of open scriptural linked data and its applications