M&F Unit3 Pg57 #12

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
mariek
Global Moderator

M&F Unit3 Pg57 #12

Post by mariek »

<br />Cum glöriä puerï gladiïs pugnäbant.<br /><br />I'm not sure whether I should translate this as:<br /><br /> The boys fought against glory with swords.<br /><br />or as:<br /><br /> They fought against the boy's glory with swords.<br /><br />gladius = sword DAT or ABL<br />pueri = boys NOM; of the boy GEN<br />gloria = glory ABL<br />pugnare cum + ABL = to fight with<br /><br />Edited: to change pugnabunt to pugnabant -M 031003.0903<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:M&F Unit3 Pg57 #12

Post by bingley »

My first thought for cum gloria was with glory = gloriously.<br /><br />The boys fought gloriously with their swords.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Your sentence makes sense. What threw me off was the vocabulary listing which said:<br /><br /> pugno ... fight; (with cum + abl), fight with (i.e. against).<br /><br />So that led me down the path of trying to make them fight against one of the ABL words. :(<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

I don't think your meanings are impossible, but I just go with whatever seems to make most sense in context.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I wouldn't use "against" in any case unless I were attempting a loose translation or trying to make something sound smoother. I can see why it suggested "against" but it's more along the lines of "he was fighting with an older man" in which they are fighting against eachother but... with is still a preferable choice of words.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

The thing is, though, without any clear context, it is possible to interpret "The boys are fighting with the old man" as the boys are allied with the old man rather than attacking him.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Aye, but our "with" possesses both meanings as well X_o
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

mariek wrote:<br /><br />Cum glóriá puerí gladiís pugnábunt.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br />Is this not "Gloriously shall the boys fight with swords..."<br /><br />Who said fought? That would be pugnábant, or pugnavérunt depending on the context...

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

An error in transcription: the book has pugnabant, so the boys fought or were fighting

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

benissimus wrote:<br />Aye, but our "with" possesses both meanings as well X_o<br />
<br /><br />Oh, you're right about that. Last night I was thinking about how the Latin pugnare was ambiguous in that sense ... when all this time, I didn't think that ours is exactly the same.<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Episcopus wrote:<br />Is this not "Gloriously shall the boys fight with swords..."<br />Who said fought? That would be pugnábant, or pugnavérunt depending on the context...<br />
<br /><br />Sorry for the confusion. It's "pugnabAnt". I mistyped the sentence earlier. You know how the 'a' key is perilously close to the 'u' key... ;)<br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Just checking ;) And the a key is a mile away from the u!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Episcopus wrote:<br />Just checking ;) And the a key is a mile away from the u!<br />
<br /><br />Well, my u key is 3 keys away from my a key. I'll leave it to you to figure out how that's possible. ;)<br /><br />Although, if we count key distance the way we count date distance, it would probably be 4 keys away.<br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Ummm...are you using a regular keyboard?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Keesa wrote:<br />Ummm...are you using a regular keyboard? <br />
<br /><br />All my keyboards are the same ones that the computers originally came with.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Oookay....did your computers come with a standard keyboard? Even the keyboard on my manual typewriter has the keys in the same place as the computer...

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />These computers came with the "standard" keyboard you find on most computers sold in the United States. It looks very similar to what you'd find an a typewriter sold in the United States (they do still sell these, don't they? :) )<br /><br />I'll even make it "easier" for you. ;D<br /><br />If you looked at my keyboard from top row to bottow row, left to right, it sorta looks like this:<br /><br /><br />Esc F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 F12 PgUp PgDn Home End Ins Del<br /><br />~!@#$%^&*()_+ bkspc<br />`1234567890-=<br /><br />tab QWERTYUIOP{}|<br /> qwertyuiop[]\<br /><br />caps ASDFGHJKL:" enter<br /> asdfghjkl;'<br /><br />shift ZXCVBNM<>? shift<br /> zxcvbnm,./<br /><br />Fn Ctrl Win Alt spcbar alt RtClk Ctrl <br /><br />Oh, and I also have some arrow keys (up, down, left, right) on the lower right side of the keyboard<br /><br /><br />