Textkit Logo

The use of "in", accusative or ablative?

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

The use of "in", accusative or ablative?

Postby Jordan St. Francis » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:17 pm

I was trying to write a sentence to say that "he was in exile". Would this be erat in exsilium or erat in exsilio. For some reason I am inclined to put exsilium into the accusative. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Jordan St. Francis
Textkit Neophyte

Re: The use of "in", accusative or ablative?

Postby adrianus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:02 pm

Salve Jordane,

Ego, secundùm dictionarium de Ainsworth, dicam hoc: // Well, I would say this (after Ainsworth), "In exilium pulsus/depulsus/actus/ejectus erat" seu "exilio affectus erat" seu "exul/extorris erat".
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Postby benissimus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:56 pm

There is also a verb exsulo, but yes if you do the esse construction it must be ablative.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby phil » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:35 am

My tuppence worth. 'in' followed by the accusative means into, followed by the ablative means actually in. for example 'in aquam' means into the water, 'in aqua' menas actually in the water. So the answer to your question is, I think, when he went into exile iit in exsilium, but once there erat in exsilio.
phpbb
phil
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin