hey i need help !!!!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
nicholasbehjq
Textkit Neophyte

hey i need help !!!!

Post by nicholasbehjq »

Hey just want to know of a phrase of translation for "mother's love" in latin
is there any phrase or translation for this//
thanks alot for help!!!!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: hey i need help !!!!

Post by thesaurus »

"Matris amor" or "amor matris."
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Also "amor maternus".
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Exitao
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Exitao »

Do you mean "maternal love" or "a mother's love"?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

"Amor maternus" means, indeed, "maternal love" or "love belonging to a mother", "love of a mother", or "mother's love".
It could mean "love for a mother" in just the way that, in English, "love of a mother" could mean "love for a mother" ("love of money" or "love of beer"). Same for "amor matris" in Latin, unfortunately. (Allen & Greenough on genitive §342: petitio consulatûs = candidacy for the consulship, regnum civitatis = power over the state).
Both "amor matris" and "amor maternus" more mean "mother's love" than "love for a mother". Normally, in the other sense, you can say "amor pro matre" for 'love for a mother" or "amor matri". ["metus/amor hostilis (dative)" = "fear of the enemy"/"love of the enemy" = "fear for/love for"]

nicholasbehjq
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nicholasbehjq »

hmm... im lost ahahs so sorry im quite bad at this..
what i mean to express was like the love for my mother.. how do i translate that?

more like being embrace by my mother's love for me in that sense

thanks for all the help !!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

"amor pro matre" for 'love for a mother" or "amor matri".
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

nicholasbehjq
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nicholasbehjq »

hi
so its
matre or mater?

oh and yes how to say love for MY mother

amor por mi matre?

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

nicholasbehjq wrote:hi
so its
matre or mater?

oh and yes how to say love for MY mother

amor por mi matre?
The nominative singular is mater. After the pronoun pro (NOT por, as in Spanish) comes the ablative case, in which case we find pro matre. The word "my" in the ablative feminine is mea.

Amor pro matre mea. "Love for my mother." (PREPOSITION with ablative)

OR

Amor matri meae. "Love for my mother." (DATIVE without preposition)

Hope that helps. It's based in the little Latin that I know.

Ravi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ravi »

What do you experts think of amor in matrem for 'love for a mother'?

My (little) grammar book provides the example ''amor in parentes' and says you could use in, erga and adversus in such cases. (It gives another example as well: gratus erga parentes.)

I was just wondering what your opinion was.

Ravi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ravi »

In addition to my previous post:

The second example is not relevant, I'm sorry.

The specific chapter in my grammar book covers the use of the genitivus subjectivus and objectivus with the use of substantiva verbalia (and in which cases you shouldn't use them). The second example was in another part of the book.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I don't speak as an expert but I found "in" (+ accusative) and "erga" under "amor" in both the OLD and L&S but not "pro" and "adversus". "Adversus" is in Scheller (A Copious Latin Grammar, Vol.1, Eng. trans. 1825, p.352) alongside "erga" and "in".
Non peritus ità dico. His in dictionariis, Oxford Latin Dictionary et Lewis & Short, "in" (cum accusativo) et "erga" vocabulum amoris sequentes inveniuntur. Ibi nec "adversus" nec "pro" inveni. Apud Scheller "adversus" secus "erga" et "in" includitur.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

It's good that you said that, Ravi. I suspect now that "amor pro aliquo" is late or modern latin and not, in fact, good latin, because it means more properly "love on behalf of someone", I think.
Felix est quod scripsisti, Ravi. Nunc "amor pro aliquo" formulam seni vel moderni temporis esse suspicor, nec quidem bonum latinum est, quià magìs "love on behalf of someone" anglicè dicere vult, ut puto.

nicholasbehjq
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nicholasbehjq »

so guys so if i say love for my mother using ¨amor pro matre mea¨or ¨amor matri meae¨is correct right?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Say//dic "amor in matrem" or "amor matri" or "amor adversus matrem" or "amor erga matrem", nicholasbehjq, but maybe not //non ferè "amor pro matre".

You don't really need to say "meam, meae or meâ" but you can if you want.
Superfluum verè est "meam, meae vel meâ" dicere, at, si vis, potes.