nonne latinam sedebo? (not literally!)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

nonne latinam sedebo? (not literally!)

Post by Episcopus »

Sorry for the feeble topic. I would have said it better had I been good enough at latin. <br /><br />Well...anyhow, the deal is this: the GCSE entry date for summer 2004 is 21st february 2004. However one is not allowed to be a private candidate at the same centre (eodem ludo heh) for the same set of exams (? heh) i.e sumemer 2004. <br /><br />So this means that the only one that I can take is January 2004. This will indeed be cutting it very close and possibly the grade that I may have will not be what I could have had. <br />To be honest, I'd rather have a <deleted> bishop's triangular hat incrusted with greasy bishopric dandruff than anything other than the top grade. Thus I have a dilemma. <br />The entry deadline is 21st October. If I want to enter I have to go to the examination officer at my school to ask whether he would consider it...If he refuses (obviously I pay my own fees) I will argue heatedly, for the school motto is "apprendre et parvenir ensemble". Si iste me recusat necem. <br /><br />By late december I will have finished D'Ooge. But then I have to acquire set texts (prose and literature!) with which someone will have to help me. And also the civilization topic >:(<br /><br />I wonder how long it would take to enter. I bet 3 weeks is not a long time to make things be sorted...<br /><br />What think-you? Quid agere debeo?<br /><br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Re:nonne latinam sedebo? (not literally!)

Post by Emma_85 »

If I were you I'd go for it. What ever your mark it'll make an impression as not many people in Britain take Latin GSCE. The thing I don't quite understand is why you have to take it in February. How is it even possible? Don't you need to do any coursework for a Latin GSCE? <br />Of course they may have change the system for all I know, but taking a GCSE exam in February does seem a little odd to me.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I edited your message. Let's tone down on the inappropriate references, shall we?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=759;start=0#7522 date=1065038045]<br />I edited your message. Let's tone down on the inappropriate references, shall we?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I find that to be more offensive than what I said.<br /><br />Anyhow, the tradition is indeed summer exams. But january is also an option (with entry deadline of 21st october); and the deadline of entry for summer is february. <br />So I may have to take it in January.<br /><br />I have just emailed them begging for help and advice!<br />"monete me nam auxilio egeo!"

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=759;start=0#7525 date=1065038468]<br />[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=759;start=0#7522 date=1065038045]<br />I edited your message. Let's tone down on the inappropriate references, shall we?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I find that to be more offensive than what I said.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Why? Moderators are allowed to use their judgment in regards to the contents of a post... that is why we *have* moderators. And I have not yet known a textkit mod to abuse that in any way.... so I trust her judgment ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Let's just stick to the original topic, shall we ;)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Who have you emailed? ???

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I emailed the examination board :P<br /><br />btw mariek, klewlis I'm sorry I was only joking boys :-*

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Did you email them in Latin? ;) ... there's an idea... why don't you write a letter to your examination officer in Latin? ;)

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

Ah, to where Episcopus' archaic adverbiage, overuse of the impersonal pronoun and quirky comedy can lead us!<br />I don't really have that much to say with regard to your quandary: if you are of the ability to attain an A* in Latin GCSE then take the opportunity to do it, naturally. If there is doubt (of, say, over 30%) that you would not get an A* if you were to take the exam in February, it would be wise to await the next possible juncture to sit it. The exams are, however, not that difficult, so think on.<br /><br />In response to Emma (85 at that!), coursework isn't compulsory to the Latin (or Greek) GCSE, so you may be in the lucky situation of not having to waste your time with that.<br /><br />~dave

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

What is a GCSE, please? I don't remember ever having heard of one...

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

General Certificate of Secondary Education. <br /><br />Exams taken in the UK when you're about our bishop's age to decide whether you are fit to go on to do a pre-university course or whether you need to go out and find a job (fat chance!). When I was doing them, a long time ago, most universities asked for 5 subjects for GSCE's (including English and Maths) and 3 at A (for Advanced) levels (to be done two years later). I understand there has been considerable mark inflation since then, so I'll let Emma or Episcopus clue you in on the current requirements.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

whiteoctave - Put it thus: similiar to your GCSE situation doubtless, each of my subject teachers expects nothing less than A*. It is more the entry that is the problem, and january is rather soon as I consider the set texts to be about to be rather difficult for me to find. After I may have done this, I will obviously take time to study and basically DO them. <br />And that's before the civilization topic comes along.<br /><br />I hope that AQA points me in the right direction. :-X<br /><br />My examination officer was formerly a welsh mountain sheep farmer; thus I doubt that he understand Latin - moreover I am not strong enough as yet to write an epistle. Plus what is the word for "examination board" ;)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Ok, so this makes it June. <br /><br /><br />Dear Aramique<br /><br />Thank you for your e-mail. AQA GCSE Latin is available to Private<br />Candidates. If you e-mail our Entries Section they may be able to <br />provide<br />you with details of centres near you allow Private Candidates to sit<br />examinations in their centre. Please note, however, that GCSE Latin is <br />not<br />available in January, but can only only be taken in the June of each<br />academic year.<br /><br />If you have any further queries, please contact the Subject Team again.<br /><br />Yours sincerely<br /><br />Robert Kirkham<br />AQA Classics<br /><br />Hunc saluto! multum auxilium mihi dedit! ;D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Good! That gives you plenty of time to study and practice. <br /><br />Best of luck!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I am glad in a way that the only option is June, although I will not be allowed to do it in my school. And no schools in the private candidates list do latin. So it looks like London where all the homeless rejects go to do their exams. I will take buses aplenty for I do not want my father to take me nor may he be willing to do so. The problem initially with London is that when I come back I will probably have other final gcse exams, of subjects for which my zeal is minimal thus it is harder to give a pigeon in order to attain good marks >:(<br /><br />I shall be so strong in June; I am disappointed that they have removed the English into Latin translation question because it is "too difficult" - only 5 out about 3000 candidates tried it last year ;D<br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

And how many of these 5 got it right? ;)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Leid tut es mir aber ich kann nicht sagen weil das alles war was sie mir gesagt haben ???<br /><br />argh meine Mutter ich habe viel Deutsch vergessen :'(

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Es tut mir leid, aber ich kann es dir nicht sagen, weil das alles war, was sie mir gesagt haben. ;)<br />(Im Gliedsatz kommt das Prädikat zum Schluss! :))

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

ja ich wusste das...aber jetzt hab ich viel Deutsch vergessen und wenn es etwas spät ist kann man nicht verstehen was ich auf Deutsch sage. <br /><br />und nur einmal hab ich "weil es war" geschreiben...ist das so schlimm ???(meine Mutter sagt doch!)<br /><br />EDIT: sagen Sie mir nicht! noch einmal? ;)

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

....ist das so schlimm
<br />In der geschriebenen Sprache ja, in der gesprochenen Sprache nein. :)<br /><br />
EDIT: sagen Sie mir nicht! noch einmal?
<br />Sorry, but I don't understand this... ???

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Don't tell me! Again? ???<br /><br /><br />(About making a mistake!)