Greek Paradigm Handbook

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Archimedes
Textkit Neophyte

Greek Paradigm Handbook

Post by Archimedes »

oberon
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Greek Paradigm Handbook

Post by oberon »

Seems kind of a waste. Smyth (and any reference grammar) would not only have the grammar but all the paradigms.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

One alternative is to make your own hand-book by copying out all the paradigms from a textbook or reference grammar. That way you can arrange the book how you like and you get to practice in the process.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Rindu
Textkit Member

Post by Rindu »

I wouldn't be so quick to rely on Smyth. His presentations of paradigms are not always crystal clear, even though they are complete. The best thing to do is to make your own; going through the process helps organize the information in your mind.

oberon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oberon »

Rindu wrote:I wouldn't be so quick to rely on Smyth.
I don't. I generally rely on Schwyzer as a general reference grammar for classical greek. However, Schwyzer is in German, and Smyth is the most complete reference in English. Also, I knew the man who was the editor of the Smyth revision (Gordon Messing, former OSS and then CIA official before taking a post at Cornell) so I have a soft spot for Smyth.

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM »

Oberon
A little off topic
You mentioned Cornell. Are you speaking of the College and if so, does that mean that you live in that vicinity? Maybe oberon drive?

GTM

oberon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oberon »

GTM wrote:Oberon
A little off topic
You mentioned Cornell. Are you speaking of the College and if so, does that mean that you live in that vicinity? Maybe oberon drive?

GTM
I was speaking of the college, but I don't live there. Gordon Messing (Smyth editor) was a relative of mine, but he died several years ago.