Lingua Latina

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Einhard
Textkit Member

Lingua Latina

Post by Einhard »

Salvete!

I've been studying Latin using Wheelock for about 6 months now and, as I've a lot of time on my hands and have been able to make good progress, I'm just after finishing it. I've completed all of the exercises, save the Loca Antiqui and Immutati at the back, and hope to move on to those, as well as other more challenging texts. I've enjoyed using Wheelock, and the various exercises have been challenging but not frustratingly, which is important because I don't think I could stick at it if Latin became nothing but a chore. I'm concerned however that, wading into deeper linguistic waters, the texts that I need to translate will become increasingly difficult and frustrating, bogging me down in sentence after sentence. I'd rather not have to figure out ablative absolutes and passive periphrastics and gerundives in every single sentence- at least not yet anyway. So I've been casting about for any readers or courses which take a more gradual approach. And Lingua Latina keeps popping up. I had looked at it earlier, but thought it somewhat juvenile. Now however, after further investigating, I think that that is probably the point, initilly at least. So, I'm wondering what other people think of it. Any and all comments are welcome- how you use it, whether you would recommend it etc. Also, as I'd rather not shell out even further, is there anywhere it can be downloaded? Thanks in advance,

Einhard.

Ps.: If anyone has any other suggestions, besides LL, I'd be glad to hear them.

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Re: Lingua Latina

Post by jamesbath »

Salve, Einhard.

Here is a url where you can see a few sample pages from Lingva Latina: http://www.lingua-latina.dk/index2.htm
Last edited by jamesbath on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quickly
Textkit Neophyte

Post by quickly »

My Wheelock's class is just now ending, and I've been looking at Lingua Latina for some time. After working through the first ten chapters, I feel that it has helped concretize much of the early grammar I learned - so that I am responding more quickly to the various cases and constructions. Apparently, Lingus Latina Pars II ends in Livy, and I think that with the aid of a forum (such as this one) or the student materials for independent study, one could maximize its usefulness.

I uploaded a PDF of the narrative material from a later chapter (XXII), if you want an example. Click Here.

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

I would also suggest using a Loeb edition of Caesar's Gallic War. That way you have an original Latin text, that is also easier to read, and in which edition you may check the translation therebeside to see if you understand the Latin well.

Einhard
Textkit Member

Post by Einhard »

Thanks for the replies. I had begun to think that there was some sort of Lingua Latina omerta in existence that I was privy to!! I checked the samples, and think LL is the one for me. It seems more fun than hours of strain trying to untangle the future active participle from passive periphrastic!! As for the the Loeb suggestion, I made the mistake of purchasing de bellum gallico on amazon without paying too much attention to the edition, and ended up with an all Latin edition that's so old I swear Caesar himself might have owned it!! So unless they decide to take it back, I'm stuck with it!!