Translation Question

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
KramerKram
Textkit Neophyte

Translation Question

Post by KramerKram »

Would a suitable translation of «ὥστε» be «τελευτᾶν εἰς»?

If you were to define «ὥστε» in Greek, how would you do it?

cb
Textkit Zealot

Re: Translation Question

Post by cb »

hi, ὥστε can be used in lots of ways and so can’t be re-written in just one way in grk. i made some notes in grk on different uses of ὥστε in my notes on budés commentarii linguae graecae. Here is a photo (no scanner nearby sorry) (remove spaces):

www . freewebs . com / mhninaeide / chadnotescommpg1 . JPG

here’s a photo of the relevant page from budé which my notes refer to (1548 stephanus edition):

www . freewebs . com / mhninaeide / commpg1 . JPG

furthermore, if ὥστε comes at the start of a clause, it can have a much more general meaning. I have written a note on this in the margin of thucydides (1972 alberti edition):

www . freewebs . com / mhninaeide / chadnotesthucy . JPG

pls let me know if these photos are too blurry to read and i will type up the relevant notes, cheers, chad :)

KramerKram
Textkit Neophyte

Post by KramerKram »

Hey, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

First: I tried, but I have some trouble reading your handwriting. You don't have to type the notes out if you don't have time. Because,

second: I think your Greek is above my level! I'm trying to take notes in Greek as best as I can for my Italian Athenaze, but they aren't nearly as descriptive as yours.

Third: what is that book? budés commentarii linguae graecae?

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, sorry for the late reply, i have just got back from hols.

the commentarii linguae graecae are more than 1,000 pages of notes on grk vocab, syntax &c. written by budé. budé (born in the 1400s) was a young rich parisian who suddenly became obsessed with learning grk and latin in his mid twenties. after receiving some unreliable lessons in grk he taught himself for the rest of his life. his obsession was absolute: he studied classics for hours on his wedding day and while his house was burning down around him; he studied to the point of sickness and had a hole drilled in his head to try to relieve his chronic headaches; the commentarii are full of the knowledge of grk he picked up after all these years of study.

here is a description of the book (pg 269): http://books.google.com/books?id=ZJsDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA269

Here is the whole book scanned online on gallica (although some pages are covered in marks which make it hard to read):

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5 ... cae.langFR

cheers, chad :)