Where to go From Here?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Where to go From Here?

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

Salve,

I have a question for whoever wishes to answer:

I completed Wheelock about six years ago, before I discovered that answer keys for that book were available online. That's the extent of my Latinitas.

I am looking to restart my Latin studies, but this time I want a book for which answer keys are available. I have on hand hard copies of Moreland & Fleischer, and Teach Yourself Latin, by Gavin Betts. There are answer keys for both of these books online, and besides, I bought and paid for them several years ago. However, Textkit's pdf of D'Ooge looks inviting, and there is an answer key for it. Adler's book also looks inviting, it has an answer key, and it is complemented with the audio podcasts from Latinum. I also found several tempting google pdfs of study books by the great Bail L. Gildersleeve, but couldn't find any answer keys.

Which one of these alternatives would be best for someone who has been through Wheelock? Would you recommend something else?

Also, would you recommend that reading books or composition books also be used along with whatever textbook you recommend?
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Re: Where to go From Here?

Post by paulusnb »

Any of your choices will work. What matters is the student. That being said, I always recommend Lingua Latina to someone in your shoes. I meet more people who successfully self teach with that than any other book.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Jefferson Cicero wrote:I also found several tempting google pdfs of study books by the great Bail L. Gildersleeve, but couldn't find any answer keys.
I didn't find any keys for Gildersleeve's stuff, but here is the list of google pdf's for which I have found keys:

http://www.edonnelly.com/google.html#4
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

Thank you paulsunb and edonelly.

I am still open to suggestions from anyone else, but in the meantime, I did some more research.

It turns out that the online answer keys to the Betts book are for a later edition than mine, and the differences in pagination etc. would make for confusion. Also, the answer keys for M&F only cover the first four chapters.

Therefore, I think I may take a book and answer key listed on edonnely's site and have them printed by Public Domain Reprints.

Meanwhile, I am having Gildersleeve's Latin Primer reprinted just for a good, casual review of the basics before I start on whichever book I use for a main text.
'Greek had to be simplified, and Latin had to be replaced with Italian, because we barbarians stole so many Greek and Latin words.'