Version of the Iliad that references Grammar of the Hom. Di.

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Aias
Textkit Neophyte

Version of the Iliad that references Grammar of the Hom. Di.

Post by Aias »

Does anyone know of an edition of the Iliad (it would probably be relatively old) that references "A Grammar of the Homeric Dialect" by Monro in the notes. I like reference grammars and would like to familiarize my self with this one. I really like how certain books will reference well known grammars, such as Helm's edition of Plato's Apology and it's references to Smyth. If there exists an Iliad with similar Grammar notes specifically referencing Monro's texts I would be thrilled to get my hands on it. Thanks,
-Tim

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Version of the Iliad that references Grammar of the Hom. Di.

Post by Markos »

Monro himself wrote a commentary on the Iliad in which he refers to his grammar. It is still the best complete commentary on the Iliad, better than Kirk's which in my opinion is too wordy and does not pay enough attention to the Greek text. Anthon's and Draper's are even better, but they do not cover the entire Iliad.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Aias
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Aias »

Thanks for the tip. I have been looking online and I have found Monro's edition of the Iliad in 2 parts that have a short grammar and notes within each book. Is this what you are referring to or is it an actual separate commentary like Kirk's. Thanks,
-Tim

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Yes, it's Monro's two volume Greek text with notes that I was referring to. I only have Volume 2 checked out the library right now, and I had assumed that his referenes in the notes were to his longer grammar, but if Volume 1 has a shorter grammar, then maybe it refers to that. I'm not sure which book he wrote first, or if there is a later edition that would refer to the full grammar. At any rate, I suspect that Monro would agree with himself. You say "short notes," but, trust me, Monro will give you more help with the Greek text than will the longer work of Kirk. Happy reading!
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Aias
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Aias »

Thanks again. Of course I could always look up any grammatical points he may mention in the notes of those 2 volumes in his larger grammar as well.