a question for Einhard

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
gigas phoberos
Textkit Neophyte

a question for Einhard

Post by gigas phoberos »

can you explain your avatar?

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Re: a question for Einhard

Post by paulusnb »

I have my theories...............
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

Einhard
Textkit Member

Post by Einhard »

LOL when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a question on Latin, and I was wondering why on earth you'd choose me!!

It's part of an illustration from a medieval manuscript. I study medieval history, and liked the playfulness and humour of the illustrations. They go some way to dispel the notion of the period as unfailingly bleak and gloomy and mordant. Plus they make me laugh!

I found it in a medieval blogpost. It's http://gotmedieval.blogspot.com and is quite excellent if anyone wants to check it out. If anyone takes offence at the avatar, I'd note that medieval monks had no problem with them!! Still, if it's an affront to someone's sensibilities, I can change it. Let's see, I have a praying monkey, some passionate primates, a pooing templar (http://gotmedieval.blogspot.com/2009/04 ... html#links)!!

gigas phoberos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gigas phoberos »

nothing offensive about the avatar, I just didn't understand what it's suppose
to be. I see a king's head, a bagpipe and some tentacle thingy...

Einhard
Textkit Member

Post by Einhard »

Well it looks like some form of kingly figure playing the bagpipes through his arse. I don't think there's much to be read into it, aside from some monkly mischief and a disdain for figures in authority! I din't realise it would be quite so long when I chose it though!

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Bagpipes? Looks like a scrotum.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

Einhard
Textkit Member

Post by Einhard »

That's 'cos you have a dirty mind!!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

It's not completely without significance, Einhard. I followed your link. It illustrates the poem, Les Voeux du Paon (Vows of the Peacock) by Jacques de Languyon. Under siege, knights make vows against the enemy upon a dead peacock, the pet of a wife of one, during a feast. The least boastful is the bravest, is how Elyses judges who gets the peacock to eat. So "blowing one's own trumpet/bagpipes" and "speaking out one's ass" both apply, I think.

Non sine significatione est, Einharde. Nexum quem dedisti secutus sum. Carmen Vota Pavonis nomine Jacobi de Languyon poetae illuminat. Cum obsidionem sustinerent, milites urbis vota contra hostibus in carnem pavonis, qui deliciae uxori unius ex eis fuerat, per epulum jurant. Minimè jactans fortissimus est, sic decernit Eliza cui carnis pavonis datura sit. "Te ipsum tibiâ utriculari per ano laudare" aptissimum est, credo.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.