index

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
little flower
Textkit Member

index

Post by little flower »

hi again
is it possible to go directly to the paragraph no's in dooge.this would be useful since the index and table of contents are given in paragraph no's rather than page no's.i've done this when surveying books with amazon reader.

thanks
little flower.

quendidil
Textkit Member

Re: index

Post by quendidil »

You can use the version transcribed in Project Gutenberg here and simply use Find to find the exact paragraph number.

little flower
Textkit Member

Post by little flower »

hi quendidil
thanks for your reply.Is it the 'find' in the toolbar which says 'find (on this page)'.it says 'not this phrase when i supply a paragraph no' to the Guthenberg version.The verson i downloaded from textkit just says item not found.Any ideas .?

thanks again
littleflower.

nov.ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov.ialiste »

This version
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18251/18 ... egin1.html

has the paragraph numbers simply as, for example:

So if you search for 413. you should go straight to it.

or 41. and so on.

little flower
Textkit Member

Post by little flower »

hi
i still cant access the para' no's, just page ones.Sorry for the trouble but there are several good grammars that would help me much if only i could use the index and page of contents as they stand.

thanks
little flower.

nov.ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov.ialiste »

little flower wrote:hi
i still cant access the para' no's, just page ones.Sorry for the trouble but there are several good grammars that would help me much if only i could use the index and page of contents as they stand.

thanks
little flower.
Which browser are you using? Most have a function like "Search in this page" or "Find" where you type in what you want to search for and it scans through the text of the page stopping when it finds what you typed.

I use Firefox and Safari. Which browser are you using and can you find such a "Search" function. Then it should be easy to search for the paragraph number.

little flower
Textkit Member

Post by little flower »

hi nov.
were making progress.I have installed firefox.Next step is to get it working.It seems to be
doing the same as the windows browser. (i.e select a page and search within it).Sorry for the trouble but it would make a big difference to me if i could browse dooge etc according to the index of paragraphs.

thanks
little flower.

nov.ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov.ialiste »

little flower wrote:hi nov.
were making progress.I have installed firefox.Next step is to get it working.It seems to be
doing the same as the windows browser. (i.e select a page and search within it).Sorry for the trouble but it would make a big difference to me if i could browse dooge etc according to the index of paragraphs.

thanks
little flower.
Good. In Firefox it is under

Edit > Find

Then a little window opens at the bottom left of the browser. Type what you want to search for and it jumps to the first occurence of that string of symbols. If it is not the one you want, to the right of the litte box are buttons "Next" to find the next occurrence and "Previous" for the previous one.

This way you can easily find words and phrases in a large page.