Jason and the subsidia

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

Jason and the subsidia

Post by phil »

Hi,
I'm reading a simple story about the Argonauts, and near the beginning, after the crew has been assembled:

...then Jason having waited a few days, ut ad omnis casus subsidia compararet, launched the ship.

Without looking a a dictionary, I assumed that subsidia might have something to do with subsidence - "so that he could provide a chance for everyone to leave" i.e. have a change of heart. But no! subsidia, in my dictionary, means auxilliary troops, aid, help. So "so that he could provide the auxilliary troops of chance to everyone"? doesn't seem to me to make sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Phil

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Re: Jason and the subsidia

Post by Damoetas »

First of all, take ad omnīs casūs as a unit: "for all occasions/eventualities." Then, the meaning of subsidia is probably more general than "auxiliary troops" in this context. Lewis & Short (available online here http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/efts/PERSEU ... short.html) says it can mean "support, assistance, provisions," and they actually list this phrase subsidia comparare as "to prepare resources, make provision." So all together it means, "so that he might assemble provisions for all eventualities" or the like.
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

phil
Textkit Fan

Re: Jason and the subsidia

Post by phil »

Ah thankyou. This has had me stumped for days.

Phil