Typo in Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Rufus Coppertop
Textkit Neophyte

Typo in Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum

Post by Rufus Coppertop »

In a description of Harry's broomstick, in English it says, "top of the range".

In Latin it says "quo non erat genus praestantius".

Surely this translates to, "which was not of an outstanding type".

Is the non here a misprint or typo?

tienyew
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Typo in Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum

Post by tienyew »

Not really. 'Praestantius' is a neuter comparative for praestans. And so 'quo non erat genus praestantius' would literally translate to 'than which there was not a type more outstanding'.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

"top of the range" "quo non erat genus praestantius"
Is that correct Latin? // Estne bonum Latinum?

You don't say (in my opinion) // Non dicis (ut opinor) "a broomstick than which there was no type more outstanding" // "manubrium scoparum quo non erat genus praestantius"
Nonnè dicis (meâ sententiâ) // You do say rather (I think) "a broomstick of such a type than which there was no more outstanding one [type]" // "manubrium scoparum talis generis quo non erat praestantius"

Why not these? // Pro "top-of-the-range broomstick", cur non haec?
"manubrium scoparum praestantissimi generis"
"manubrium scoparum maximum seriei"
"manubrium scoparum ê praestantissimâ notâ"
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Rufus Coppertop
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rufus Coppertop »

Of course it's a comparative! Thanks!

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

Adrianus,
I think your correction is more stylistic than anything. 'quo non erat genus praestantius' works fine as a complete sentence, which it, in essence, is. There was not type more outstanding than this. The Latin is fine, but another author might well change it to your first suggestion.
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.