Roma Aeterna Cap. 37

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
dsimo04
Textkit Neophyte

Roma Aeterna Cap. 37

Post by dsimo04 »

Hey all - I'm back with a quick request for assistance.

In pagina 37 Versus 208 per 211 Romae Aeternae dicunt:

Num ideo - mater carissima, per tela per ignes me eripuisti ut hostem in mediis aedibus ut Ascanium puerum et patrem meum uxoremque alterum in alterius sanguine trucidatos cernam?

My best guess at this is: "For which reason is it - most caring mother, did you carry me through spears and flames in order to (meet) the enemy in the middle of the house, or in order to distinguish my boy Ascanius, my father and my wife slaughtered, each in the blood of one another?"

So, because Aeneas' father is refusing to leave (and it seems to be implied that Aeneas won't leave without him) Aeneas is basically asking Venus "what the hell was all your help for if we are going to stay here and die anyway?"

Gratias vobis et valete!

Dan

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Roma Aeterna Cap. 37

Post by adrianus »

"Num ideo" = "Surely not for that reason". The rest looks good to me, dsimo04. For "meet/distinguish"—just say "see" or "discover", I think. Someone else may advise better.
Caeterum bonum mihi videtur. Nonnè anglicè "see" vel "discover" pro "cernam" sufficiat? Alius melius consilium dare possit.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.