Electronic Liddell and Scott (Logos Version)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
tico
Textkit Member

Electronic Liddell and Scott (Logos Version)

Post by tico »

Hi, everybody,

Does anybody here use the electronic version of Liddell Scott provided by Logos (http://www.logos.com/products/details/1772)?
I'm considering buying it, but I don't know if it's really worth. What do you think? What are your experiences with this electronic lexicon?

Thanks.

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: Electronic Liddell and Scott (Logos Version)

Post by edonnelly »

I uses the completely free software program called Diogenes:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/Software/Diogenes/

It includes not only the LSJ but also the morphological analysis tool from Perseus. The only potential advantage of the paid version you are looking at, from what I can tell, is that it includes the 1996 supplements to the LSJ, while the absolutely and completely free version has the 1940 edition. Also, Diogenes only allows unicode input, but that's what I prefer anyway.

Let me just tell you how incredibly cool and useful Diogenes is to me. I have it autoload when my computer boots but I keep it minimized in my system tray. With a little bit of setup, I have my firefox browser set to use that diogenes as my default search engine. Any greek (or, by the way, latin) word that I encounter I can simply highlight with my mouse, right click, choose "search Diogenes" and firefox will open a separate tab with a full analysis of the inflected form and dictionary entries from both LSJ and the Middle Liddell (or Lewis and Short for Latin words). It also has its own interface, so if you are using any other program you can still just copy and paste the word into the main screen of the program and get the results that way.

Did I mention that it's completely free?
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

edonnolly wrote:Also, Diogenes only allows unicode input, but that's what I prefer anyway.
I've heard someone else mention this before, but I am able to input using betacode by clicking on "current settings page" and changing the "Greek input mode." The only problem is that when in the betacode mode, it only looks up in the LSJ, and to search the Latin dictionary, you have to switch back to unicode mode.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Oops, you're right. I guess I've been using it so long I forgot about the preference page. One more plus for Diogenes.
The lists:

tico
Textkit Member

Post by tico »

Thanks, edonnelly, for your answer. I use Diogenes a lot, but it (maybe it's my fault) doesn't let you to search a specific for through the whole dictionary. If you search for ἐγνωσμένοι using the morphological analysis tool it will point to γιγνώσκω, but it doesn't let you see all the occurrences of this form in other entries (suppose it has an example of this for for under the entry λύω; you'll not be able to find it). Am I right or there's a way to make such a search?

Thanks.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

You can certainly do full text searches of the LSJ online with Perseus:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/efts/PERSEU ... e/lsj.html

Your word, ἐγνωσμένοι, has one "occurrences," under ὑποβλέπω:

App.Syr.45; also, cast stolen looks at, of lovers, Plu. 2.521b:—Pass., ὑποβλεπώμεθ' ὡς ἐγνωσμένοι E.HF1287. of menacing looks, ἀπειλητικόν τι ὑ.

http://tinyurl.com/qw5ueh

I'm guessing that one of the diogenes guru's could probably hack it to add this functionality, if it's not hidden in there somewhere already. At the least it might be possible to trick it into thinking that the dictionary itself is a member of one of the databases (or better yet, its own database), or maybe the search could be its own new option. In any case, I guess only you can decide if that kind of functionality is worth the logos price.
The lists:

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Perhaps the original poster is already completely aware of this program, but Kalos is free as well.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift